Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Program to copy a scratched CD disc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 myym

myym

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:49 PM

I am looking for a special kind of software to make an image or an iso file from my old XP installation cd. The problem I have is that there are scratches on the cd that doesn't allow to complete the installation, so I need to make a new copy of that cd. I have already tried with a cd/dvd recorder software but it has difficulty reading the disc, so I was wondering if there is a software that can specifically deal with these type of discs.

thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:57 PM

I think your best bet would be to buy one of those scratch dr kits where you wipe in little swirls or one of those things you put the cd in and crank the handle. It reads with a laser, if its damaged or too scratched, theres nothing for the laser to read.

Something like this.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/11078700?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=89&adid=22222222227000050702&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40330287872&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=41388403009&veh=sem

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 20 November 2014 - 06:58 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:39 PM

Try http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cdrecovery.html

Tekken

#4 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:52 AM

I've had success by applying warm water to clean any dust on the CD and then using a cloth piece dipped in oil and wiping the CD with it. It does not work all the time and depends on how damaged the CD is. If it's not that damaged, then the recovery program jhayz suggested might do the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users