Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows updates won't install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

Dell LT Inspiron 9400

XP Pro SP3

100GB HD

2GB RAM

For about a year, I don't use it often, I have been unable to install Some updates, occasionally it will install some. I did notice this last round, about 19 updates, after the prolonged exposure to breakin was announced, that the ones that do not seem to install are .Net framework 4 updates. :lmao:

I know MS is not supporting XP, but they did offer these and I would like to get them installed.

I have no intention of upgrading the OS of this system.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:05 PM

If...you are certain that critical updates are not installed, yet should be...you can try installing them manually after downloading same.

http://agsci.psu.edu/it/how-to/install-high-priority-critical-updates

Louis

#3 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thanks, I will try this technique.

#4 Johnny 5 Alive

Johnny 5 Alive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

After following your link and then following the instructions there, I arrived at a page that is no longer available. Looks like MS has turned off any chance of fixing any XP issues. tried every thing that was presented to me, including uninstalling .net Framework 4 essential, which actually seemed to remove Framework 4 completely. I was able to reinstall it.

Thanks for the try.

I will just deal with the inconvenience of being asked to install updates that can not be installed whenever I use the LT.

Edited by Johnny 5 Alive, 22 November 2014 - 12:28 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users