Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Locked Bios? Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jackz4000

jackz4000

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:56 AM

I'm thinking of buying a used off-corporate lease HP laptop, but the owner says the bios is locked. Meaning it needs a password I guess. He said it's no problem, just that I wouldn't be able to change Bios settings. Otherwise it looks good. I've never encountered this before is there a workaround? Then again why would I want to change the bios if it's up to date?

Ready to buy, but feeling ignorant.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:19 PM

One of our forum rules states...

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

Because of this rule I can only suggest that the answers are out there, and Google is your friend.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

I would like to add that if this is a Hard Drive/BIOS password that needs to be keyed in before the computer will boot then don't buy it.

#4 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thank you. Needs a HD and Bios is locked? Not trying to do anything illegal at all. 

Edited by jackz4000, 20 November 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:10 PM

Have the person turn off the computer and then reboot. If it needs a password to get to Windows, then don't purchase it. For the BIOS lock, lets say you want to change the boot order from the HDD to a USB or CD drive. If the BIOS is locked, you will not be able to do that. If the CMOS battery dies, you might lose the current settings. How would you change the setting if BIOS is locked?

As dc3 said, there are ways to overcome BIOS and HDD passwords but they may not be successful in your case.

#6 jackz4000

jackz4000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the warnings I took a pass on the unit. It's more work than I want and seems too "iffy." Maybe someday when I want a challenge  :thumbup2:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:49 PM

I suppose that I always thought that proof of functionality...is something normally required for a person to consdier purchasing items not covered by a warranty. 

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users