Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Drivers and the PCI bus

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BScorpJG

BScorpJG

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:05 AM

amdkmpfd - AMD PCI root bus lower filter Driver

Rather than being assigned to the PCI bus for the lower filter, the driver is setup under drivers for my Video Card: The PCI bus is running off Microsoft Drivers for the time being. I'm wondering whether there would be a difference in functionality or performance if I were to change the microsoft drivers out for the AMD drivers; would it have any effect on system integrity?; why are the drivers located under my video card rather than the PCI bus?.

Someone had mentioned somewhere on another forum, that if the Device Driver for the PCI Bus were to change from a Microsoft one to an AMD one, before running the amd clean-up utility, it would not only remove the video drivers but also the PCI Bus driver, making the system unable to boot-up......is this correct?

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the purpose of this driver and how it relates to the PCI bus device...doesn't the PCI bus create a physical device object which is then passed to the PCI Driver which then creates a Filter Device Object responsible for handling Input/Output requests within the device stack chosen by the PnP Manager?

So.....how exactly would accidently removing it, using the amd clean-up utility, cause the system to stop booting up?.

Edited by BScorpJG, 20 November 2014 - 11:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users