Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Imaging & Deployment Options Asus T100

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 djm1k0

djm1k0

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

i have searched the web high and low and cannot get this to work i am hoping you can help.  I started a new job and tasked with figuring out a way to create and deploy images for new tablets we got.  For all our other machines we used to use Ghost but can't use that now. In any case we have Asus T100 tablets running WIN8.1 Pro 32bit OS x64bit based processor, there are no legacy boot options in bios only EUFI i am trying to boot from a USB. I need help getting a way to image this machine so i can use images for deployment. Can you provide any help? ? I followed your instructions in the link below but that didn't work either i'm at my wits end...   Thank you so much in advance even if you can just point me in the right directions. I ideally i'd like to use Ghost if possible.

https://forum.acronis.com/forum/54130

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djm1k0

djm1k0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

Here is what worked for me to successfully capture and deploy an Image on an Asus T100TA Tablet:

To Capture the WIM:

NOTES
• These instructions assume you have a basic understanding of OS Deployments and the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT).
• The source (aka “reference”) computer you are capturing should be in a workgroup, not joined to your domain. Disjoin your domain before continuing if necessary.
• You must have the same OS you’re trying to capture on the “reference” computer loaded into MDT – if your source computer is running Windows 7 Enterprise with Service Pack 1 x64 then that DVD/OS must be loaded into MDT
• For these instructions the computer running MDT will be referred to as \\MDT1 and the deployment share will be \Deploymentshare$
• These instructions will not include hitting “Next”, etc. unless that is the only action on a screen

Prepare your “reference” computer by installing your Operating System and any other customizations you will want. Once you have completed your build process continue on.

Setup MDT to Capture your image
1. Open MDT, then expand Deployments, then expand your deployment share
2. Right click “Task Sequences” and select “New Task Sequence”
a. Task Sequence ID: Capture
b. Task Sequence name: Capture Image
3. Select the “Sysprep and Capture” Task Sequence template
4. Select your Operating System
5. Do not specify a product key at this time
6. OS Settings screen – modify as desired
7. Admin Password - enter the password you wish for the local administrator account
8. Continue until you get a Finish button to click
9. Right-click your deployment share and select “update deployment share”

Capture your image by running the task sequence
1. Log in to the computer you are trying to capture
a. Typically this would be with the local administrator account since the computer should not be joined to the domain and usually during the build process local accounts are not added
2. Open a CMD windows and enter the following
a. Net use * \\MDT1\Deploymentshare$
b. When prompted enter credentials for a user who has Write permissions to the \\MDT1\Deploymentshare$ folder in the format of: domain\user
i. Note: typically this would be a user with Domain Administrative rights
c. When prompted enter the password for the user entered above
3. Enter the following to run the Litetouch sequence
a. \\ MDT 1\Deploymentshare$\scripts\litetouch.vbs
b. Depending on your deployment share is set-up (i.e. which screens to skip) you may need to select “Deploy Computer”, enter a username and password, etc.
c. When you get to the Task Sequence window select your “Capture Image” sequence
d. Select the “Capture an image of this reference computer” option
i. It should default the MDT share\Captures folder and a default file name
e. Once the sequence starts running it will reboot into WinPE, Sysprep and capture the image for you. The image will be placed here: \\ MDT 1\Deploymentshare$\Captures
i. NOTE: Be patient – depending on how large the image is this can take a while

Import your captured image
In order to use your custom image you must import it into your Deployment Share’s Operating Systems folder. Once there it becomes available under the “Install\Install Operating System” section\task in your Task Sequence

1. Open MDT, then expand Deployments, then expand your deployment share
2. Right-Click “Operating Systems” and select “Import Operating System”
a. Select “Custom image file” <Next>
b. Browse to the folder that contains your custom image file
i. Typically this would be the “Captures” folder on the computer running MDT
c. Double-click the captured WIM file to select it and return to the prior screen
d. Select the “Move the files to the deployment share….” Checkbox
i. Moving the custom image will save space in your deployment share
e. Setup files are not needed
i. The setup files are contained in the ISO/DVD version of the operating system you should have imported to the Deployment Share previously
f. Destination folder name
i. It will be helpful later if use a unique name such as Gold-2015-01-08 for the folder name
g. At this point the captured WIM file should be imported and ready for use

To Set up your deployment share, set up USB, and deploy your image:

MDT – How to create and use a “Media” Deployment

Overview
Imaging a computer that doesn’t have a native network connection can be difficult, but is possible. One way is to create a Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) “Media” deployment which contains all of the installation files necessary, then transfer those files to a USB Flash Drive (UFD). Using the UFD, a “universal” USB3 docking station and these instructions imaging can be accomplished.

Responsible Subject Matter Expert(s) External Contacts

Related Software Related Files & Directories
Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)

Steps
For this document the following assumptions are made:
• The person following these instructions has a working knowledge of MDT
• The “media” folder is C:\Media
• The “Deployment Share” is C:\DS_Win81
• MDT has the OS ISO image/ DVD loaded into it as well as any custom operating system images
• MDT has a Task Sequence created to deploy the custom image/ standard image from ISO/DVD

Preparation: MDT (Drivers & Media share creation)
1. Load the computer specific drivers for the appropriate OS/Architecture into MDT
a. Note: drivers should be organized by OS/Architecture, then by manufacturer, then model. This allows you to select the entire “set” of drivers for the OS/Architecture in the “Selection Profile” step below, but still keep your drivers organized by computer manufacturer and model. For example:
i. Windows81_x64
1. Microsoft Corporation
a. Microsoft Surface 2
b. Microsoft Surface 3
2. Lenovo
a. 20CD00B1US
i. Note: This is the model designation of the Yoga
ii. Windows81_x86
1. Dell Inc.
a. Latitude 10
2. Create “New Application” installation tasks for the Toshiba “Dock Core” and “Dock Setup” drivers
a. These drivers CANNOT be setup/installed in any other manner as of 3/12/2014
b. The tasks MUST BE set-up using the “Application with source files” so that the installation files are included on the UFD
3. Create “New Application” installation task for the Lenovo USB dock – note that the same limitations listed above for the Toshiba dock drivers apply to the Lenovo dock drivers as well
4. Create a “Selection Profile”
a. Expand Advanced Configuration and click on Selection Profiles
b. Under “Actions” select “New Selection Profile”
i. For this document “x64_StandAlone” will be the profile name
ii. Select the following
1. Applications
2. Operating Systems
3. Expand Out-of-Box drivers
a. Select “Windows81_x64”
4. Task Sequences
5. Create a “Media” deployment point
a. The drive where this is created must have enough free drive space available to store the entire deployment chosen in the “Selection” Profile
i. A good estimate would be to select a location that has 20GB of free space
b. Create a folder called “Media” on that drive
i. For the purpose of this document the folder will be created on the C: drive
c. Expand Advanced Configuration and click on Media
d. Under “Actions” select “New media”
e. Browse to and select your Media folder
f. Under “Selection Profile” select: “x64_StandAlone”
g. Once finished “MEDIA001” will appear in the list (you cannot change this)
6. Modify the Media point
a. Right-Click MEDIA001 and select “Properties”
i. General Tab
1. Uncheck “Generate x86 boot image
2. Uncheck “Generate a Lite Touch bootable ISO image”
ii. Rules Tab
1. Rules
a. Open the CustomSettings.ini file (often referred to as “CS.INI”) in your Deployment Share\Control folder
b. Copy the contents of this file EXCEPT for the “EventService” setting
c. Paste (overwriting all) into the Rules Tab text box
2. Bootstrap.ini
a. Open the “Bootstrap.ini” file in your Deployment Share\Control folder
b. Copy the contents of this file EXCEPT for the “DeployRoot” setting
c. Click the “Edit Bootstrap.ini” button
d. Paste (overwriting all) into the Bootstrap.ini file that opens in Notepad
iii. Windows PE/General Tab
1. Change background file if desired
7. Update the Media point
a. Right-click “MEDIA001” and select “Update Media Content”
i. Note: The first time you run this will take the longest time since it has the most files to copy. Subsequent runs will usually take less time
ii. When completed the entire deployment including OS, Drivers, Applications and Task Sequences will be copied to the media point
b. Note: it is critical that every time you make any changes to the Media point you re-run “update”

Preparation: Create a USB Flash Drive (UFD)
UEFI requires a boot partition that is FAT32 formatted, however typically the custom Windows Image (WIM) file is over 4GB and requires a NTFS partition. Because of these differing requirements you will need to dual partition your UFD

A 32GB UFD is required – it is HIGHLY recommended that it is a USB 3.0 drive and that you’re MDT computer have USB 3.0 port(s). For the purpose of these instructions your UFD partitions will be:
• FAT32 – 2GB in size with a label of “Boot”
• NTFS – remainder of the drive with a label of “Deploy”
• The “disk number” of the UFD in the DiskPart program is 1
• The “media” folder is C:\Media

WARNING: This process will delete ALL data on the UFD

1. Partition the UFD
a. Insert your UFD into the computer
b. Open an administrative CMD prompt
c. Enter “diskpart”, then press the <Enter> key
d. Run the following commands while inside the Disk Partition program (press the <Enter> Key after each command)
i. List disk
ii. Select disk 1
1. Assuming 1 is the number for your UFD
2. WARNING: Be sure you select the correct disk – when in doubt back out!
iii. Clean
iv. Create Part Primary size=2048
v. Assign
vi. Active
vii. Format fs=fat32 quick Label=”Boot”
viii. Create part primary
ix. Assign
x. Format fs=ntfs quick Label=”Deploy”
xi. Exit
2. Copy the files/folders from the “media” folder is C:\Media\Content to the UFD in the appropriate partition
a. Copy the following files/folders to BOOT drive (FAT32)
i. Copy the c:\media\content\boot folder to root of the BOOT drive
ii. Copy the c:\media\content\efi folder to root of the BOOT drive
iii. Copy the c:\media\content\autorun.inf, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi files to root of the BOOT drive
iv. Create a Deploy folder in root of the BOOT drive
v. Copy the c:\media\content\deploy\boot folder to the Deploy folder on the BOOT drive
b. Copy the following files/folders to DEPLOY Partition (NTFS)
i. Create a Deploy folder in the root of the DEPLOY drive
ii. Copy the contents of the c:\media\content\deploy folder to Deploy folder on the DEPLOY drive

Deploy using the UFD

1. It is assumed that the BIOS settings are correct for the device (i.e. set to secure/UEFI boot, etc.)
2. Connect the power cord – imaging off of battery power is NOT recommended
3. Boot the computer and bring up the “onetime boot menu” by pressing ESC or whatever key-press/button combination necessary
4. Select the UFD from the list if it doesn’t auto boot.
5. At this point the deployment process will start
a. BE PATIENT – it may appear that the process is hung, but it will continue after a while
6. IF the “Get online” prompt appears select “Skip this step”
7. When the Windows 8.1 Start Screen appears select the “Desktop” tile so you can monitor the deployment and see which tasks are currently running
8. The computer will power off when the imaging process has completed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users