Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

max page file

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 piercazzo

piercazzo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

For a series of reasons I need to maximize the virtual memory.

I set up a raid0 in windows 2008 r2 and windows 2012 datacenter, for a total of around 4tb, and then tried to move the page file to that volume.

In the first case the max space available as seen in the virtual memory window was 2092826mb, in the second case (to my surprise) it was even smaller 1042466mb. I tried to use both mbr and gpt.

Can anyone suggest a way to use more paging? or is this an unsurmuntable limit in windows?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:22 PM

Hopefully this is just for playing/testing and not planned as a production server.  You would never do raid0 with any system your cared about failing.  4GB is the limit which makes your 2092826 mb which is equal to 2092.83gig a bit surprising

.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2860880

Edited by Wand3r3r, 24 November 2014 - 06:23 PM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:58 PM

Possibly useful info? :

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:07 AM

Generally Windows will set the paging at half the memory size. The idea of RAID is to gain performance on the read/writes as well as redundancy. If the RAID is paging because of little memory then that is counter productive. You want as much memory as possible.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

I always thought it was 1.5 times ram not .5

only way I know to use max virtual memory is to rob the system of ram.  Less ram forces more pagefile activity.  I believe the maxmem switch in the boot.ini still exists.  You can report less ram to the system this way.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

That's if you set it yourself. If you let windows manage it then it will be a lot more. I set it to auto and now it's allocating 8190 MB and recommends 12285 MB which is utter nonsense. I set it minimum 16MB and max 2048MB just to keep the system happy, otherwise I would turn it completely off. I notice no difference and keep a clean system and do run quiet a bit at times. Typically the system runs 1.85MB. It's hard to get the system using anything beyond 4GB let alone using any of the other 4GB.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:51 PM

It may have helped if the OP had mentioned system spec, seems they are doing huge renders on a 112GB system.

The absolute limit of pagefile size on either x86 with PAE or x64 is 16TB, a 4GB limit occurs if x86 is run in non-PAE mode.

The 1.5x RAM filesize came about due to the pagefile being the only location that could be known to be still locatable for a full memory dump if Windows crashed. This is because Windows maintains continuous record of the absolute sector addresses for the pagefile. Other files are managed by the file system, which in the case of a crash may be compromised, e.g. NTFS.SYS may have stopped running. A full memory dump requires RAM size plus an overhead, so RAM x 1.5 was used as a convenient way to make sure  extra was there, and never changed.

piercazzo, your situation is well beyond my experience. Mulling it over again, my first thought was whether at those sizes the allocations had to be made in powers of 2, and the total array size was just under 4TB, so 2TB became the limit. That wouldn't seem to explain the 1TB occurrence though. The only other possibility I can come up with so far is maybe there is a clash between something in the RAID array, such as block allocation, and segment alignment in the pagefile? Is there any way you can get the use of a single 4TB drive to see if it behaves differently to the RAID? Again, that may not help if the problem is because the 4TB size has to be a full 4TB and the drive is just under (as they usually are).

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:55 PM

I set my Win7 laptop with 6gig of ram to system managed and it recommended a max was 9gig.  So the rule of 1.5 x ram, which has existed since NT days, is still alive and well.

I totally agree more VM is not better in fact it is worse since paging runs at milliseconds and ram at nanoseconds plus paging causes disk contention with the OS reading/writing its system files.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

Kinda funny how that MS article in post #2 says 4GB max even for windows 7 yet when I set to system managed it gave me a 9gig VM.

Another wrong MS document?  Its last review was sept of this year

Edited by Wand3r3r, 12 December 2014 - 07:00 PM.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

paging causes disk contention with the OS reading/writing its system files.

No doubt the OP's motivation for a dedicated swap drive if they're running their 112GB dry... :)

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

Kinda funny how that MS article in post #2 says 4GB max even for windows 7 yet when I set to system managed it gave me a 9gig VM.

Another wrong MS document?  Its last review was sept of this year

It actually says Maximum page file size is "3 x RAM or 4 GB, whichever is larger"

#12 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:15 PM

I would rather have the HD space than allocate 9G's minimum. I don't think I need a 9G minimum memory dump to tell me that something.sys caused a BSOD. Not to mention hiberfil.sys for hibernation taking another chunk of HD space. Almost 20G's between the two. If I was getting crashes left and right then I would adjust it.

Edited by technonymous, 12 December 2014 - 10:23 PM.

#13 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:41 PM

When the SSD is in the laptop that runs 8GB RAM, I use no hibernation file and a 1GB "just in case something wants it" fixed swapfile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users