Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Funky notebook error in windows XP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 paulson060267

paulson060267

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:31 AM

Whenever I try to open a file with notepad by double clicking on it ' I I get a Windows cannot find error with the correct pathname to the file yet the file does actually open anyway. I ussuaally just close the error message and can do everything to the open file I want to ussually. So this isn't too big a deal but... It has gotten pretty annoying!!! Can anyone offer any assistance that might help me to eliminate this annoying glich? Thanks Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 06:29 AM

In Notepad, select File \ Open.  Locate and single-click on the desired file name.  Do you get the same results?

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 paulson060267

paulson060267
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

TulsaRose--  In repy to:In Notepad, select File \ Open.  Locate and single-click on the desired file name.  Do you get the same results?

The answer is No I do not get the same results the file opens fine that way. Yet there are often times that I just want to click the desktop file itself. Which results in the error. Any suggestions??? Matt

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:33 AM

Matt,  I'm not sure I'm understanding your description.  Are you "saving" text files ( .txt) to the actual Desktop rather than a folder in My Documents?  Are these files you've created and if so, with which program?  If for some reason you actually have files on the Desktop, single-click should still work.  Please post the "pathname" of one of the files which causes the error message to appear.  Maybe that will give me a clue. 

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 paulson060267

paulson060267
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

Reply To TulsaRose- I do sometimes save .txt files to the desktop for easy access then file them away later in a folder(If I keep them). Yet , more specifically I do get this error when opening .txt files with notepad by double clicking on the .txt file wether they are on the desktop OR in a folder(I tested it). It happens to files I created as well as files created by other programs that are of type .txt. Notepad is my default opener for programs of type .txt. Not only did I check and redo thos setting in file associations but YES notebook does open them even though the error message comes up. I tried single clicking like you mentioned but that jut highlights the file. I right clicked went to open with selected notepad, still get the error. Here is a sample of the error mesage, keep in mind that I get this message with a different pathname when I try to open a .txt file from a folder or elsewere on my machine.
Windows cannot find ' C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\WifiInfo.txt Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again , to search for a file click start and than select search.
Again..... I really don't understand why I'm getting this error dialog because the file IS opened I just have to click to close the error message and than go to the open file and everything works fine. So I don't now why it says it can't find it. Thanks hope that helps. Matt

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:31 PM

I get this error if I'm opening files when my computer is super busy (ie: I go to open a text file first thing when I boot into windows, while windows is chugging to load all the various things). I don't know why it does it and I have never solved it, however, I can easily avoid it by just not trying to push my computer too fast right when windows starts (plus it doesn't even matter if I see it). My cpu is not that high, I believe the problem is with slow hard disk access (multiple programs all trying to access the drive at the same time)

So, maybe your computer is chugging badly all the time?? Try checking the health of the hard drive with something like gsmartcontrol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users