Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File not found error at start up... Please help!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 paulson060267

paulson060267

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:29 AM

Windows Cannot Find error every time I start up My Computer. The actual error reads...
Windows Cannot find C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Date\GeniusBox\Client.exe

I think I am getting this error because I recently tried to uninstall GeniusBox via the ADD/Remove software feature in XP. I tried anyway to uninstall it there as it did show up in the list. Yet windows complained that the software may have already been uninstalled.

Yet I still was getting a GeniusBox Icon in my Sytems tray.

I ran some virus programs and deleted some stuff and the GeniusBpx Icon in my Sytems tray disappeared but I started getting the "Windows Cannot Find Error" every time I start the machine.

I scoured the web fo solutions, that included downloading and running certain other anti malware programs as well as programs that show what your startup is running , I could not find any GeniusBox entries in those. At least there not calling themselves that.

I went to regedit and deleted all the occurances of geniusbox that I found there. There were several. 
Still the "Windows Cannot Find Error" persists....
I don't know what else to do I've tried everything I can think of frown.gif
Can somebody please try to help me? Any assitance anyone could offer would be great. This has been driving me crazy!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:24 PM

My guess is that there are remnants of the program remaining.

Topic moved to Am I Infected forum.

Louis

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message usually occurs when a file that was set to run at startup or as scheduled task in the registry has been deleted. It's not uncommon to find remnants of startup and scheduled task registry keys when booting into Windows after uninstalling programs or using anti-virus/security scanning tools to remove adware and malware. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file was most likely removed. However, an associated orphaned registry entry still exists and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, Windows will display an error message. You need to remove this registry or scheduled task entry so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

A safe and easy way to remove them is to download AutoRuns and save it to your Desktop.
  • Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there.
  • Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When finished scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom and list all entries under the Everything tab.
  • In the top menu, click File > Find... and type the file name (Client.exe) related to the error message, then click Find Next.
  • Alternatively, you can scroll through the list and look for any entry related to the remnant.
  • If found, right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Exit Autoruns and reboot your computer when done.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 paulson060267

paulson060267
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:06 AM

Reply to: quietman7-
Okay, I did as instructed,
But I am running XP and I selected run as...  that time and ran it as administrator with a password, you said to only do that in windows 7 or 8.

Anyway, as soon as it  opened auto runs a  window came up I got an Error 'could not get Wmi subscriptions: The wait operation timed out'.

Regardless it did say 'ready at the bottom and list a bunch of entries so I kept going. 

I went to find and typed in Client.exe and  It said a dialog box appeared that said 'cannot find string Client.exe' I searched the list but could not find anything related to GeniusBox or Client.exe.

I ran it again,

this time just by double clicking(as you instructed under xp)  and did not get the error box about the  'could not get Wmi subscriptions' 
searched with find, and got the same results as before (cannot find string)
searched manually again also nothing.

I also saved a copy of the Autoruns.arn I am not sure wether or not I can attach that here if not I can email it to if I can get your email adress. 

I may have missed something in the list but I don't think so I looked pretty extensively and double and triple checked I saw nothing that looked suspicious , but maybe you could locate something. 

This seems like a kind of tough problem to solve thanks for trying to help!!! My email adress is: (email address deleted) If you want me to send you a copy of the.arn just email me there and let me know and I will attach it to a response to you. Thanks again. Matt

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 November 2014 - 12:13 AM.
deleted email address to protect from spambots. All requests for more information will be asked in the topic

#5 AbsolutelyFreeWeb

AbsolutelyFreeWeb

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:29 AM

run msconfig. open startup tab, check for entries related to geniusbox, disable it.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:03 AM

run msconfig. open startup tab, check for entries related to geniusbox, disable it.

The error is related to Adware/PUP and it needs to be removed, not disabled which is all you can do with msconfig.

paulson060267, it may be related to a Task. If a startup is a Scheduled Task, you can open Windows Task Scheduler and remove it from there.

Windows 7: Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Task Scheduler > Display All Running Tasks
Windows XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Scheduled Tasks

* How to Manage Existing Tasks in Task Scheduler in Windows 7
* Using Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP

BTW, while doing some more checking this morning it appears that you have an open topic here at another scurity forum.

After posting a log(s) for assistance at another security forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by their Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the information or any log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

Please confirm it you are the same person who requested assistance in that topic. If so, then from this point on the Malware Response Team where you asked for help should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean. If that is the case, then to avoid confusion I will close this topic.

#7 paulson060267

paulson060267
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

I'n response to your security alert. YES!! that was me!!! I posted in several diiferent forums at the same time. In response. To your Recommedation about checking in scheduled tasks. I looked and found nothing related  to GeniusBox or anything unussual at all there in fact some people have mentioned to run msconfig and check for entries there. I did and found nothing under startup. but someone also recommended checking the registry for all occurances of GeniusBox AND Client.exe . I did that and found no GeniusBox but did find entries for Client.exe here is what I found:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectInput\Compatibility\CLIENT.EXE35FEFABD00088200
This Folder contains:
(Default)   REG_SZ  (value not set)
MaxDeviceNameLength REG_BINARY   06 00 00 00
ReAcquire  REG_BINARY  01 00 00 00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectInput\Compatibility\CLIENT.EXE36DFF4810008E200
This Folder contains:
(Default)   REG_SZ  (value not set)
MaxDeviceNameLength REG_BINARY   06 00 00 00

Should I delete these entries. Do you think they are what is casing the problem? Matt

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:08 PM

Since you have already posted comprehensive logs at another security forum and are currently receiving assistance from one of their trained experts...please continue in that topic for the reasons I already noted. Since you now indicate posting for help at several other forums, I suggest you post in these topics advising them you are getting expert help from askey127 at Tech Support Guy forum.

To avoid confusion, this topic is now closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users