Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kygiacomo

kygiacomo

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:01 AM

hey guys i have been reading alot on here but i may have over looked it..what i need to know is on the settings of maywarebytes it has a option that says to "enable self-protection module" and then another right under that,that says "enable self-protectionearly start"..i have no ideal if these 2 boxes should be enabled or disabled..thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:29 AM

Both of those options should be enabled. The "enable self-protection module" is designed to detect and prevent an infection or hacker from altering the program, its folder(s) and so on. Additionally, the "enable self-protection early start" activates the "enable self-protection module" in the initial start up of the computer.

Here is a link to view the terms and definitions according to Malwarebytes... MBAM Settings Info

Edited by Without_A_Monitor, 20 November 2014 - 01:43 AM.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:16 AM

Amen. I agree. MBAM has lots of 'inbuilt cleverness'....enable them both to take advantage of it.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 kygiacomo

kygiacomo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:22 AM

Amen. I agree. MBAM has lots of 'inbuilt cleverness'....enable them both to take advantage of it.

Both of those options should be enabled. The "enable self-protection module" is designed to detect and prevent an infection or hacker from altering the program, its folder(s) and so on. Additionally, the "enable self-protection early start" activates the "enable self-protection module" in the initial start up of the computer.

Here is a link to view the terms and definitions according to Malwarebytes... MBAM Settings Info

thanks alot guys..so glad i found this website u guys have already helped me save money just from the knowledge u all have past me down..i only found this site today but been pouring over the anti malware and virus sections

#5 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:35 AM

Amen, indeed. Cheers, man.

thanks alot guys..so glad i found this website u guys have already helped me save money just from the knowledge u all have past me down..i only found this site today but been pouring over the anti malware and virus sections

On behalf of the Bleeping Community, don't mention it. We are all here to learn and help one another.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:07 AM

Checking the Enable self-protection module box introduces a delay as that module is enabled. Since the delay may be considered undesirable by some users it is not enabled by default. When checking the Enable self-protection early start box, the self-protection module will become enabled earlier in the computer's boot process. Doing this changes the order of Windows Services and drivers associated with the computer's startup. Again this too may be considered undesirable some users (especially advanced users) so it too is not enabled by default.

Many advanced users prefer to tweak (trim down) services using Black Viper's Windows Service Configurations. A service loads at startup and runs transparently in the background to support other programs without user interaction. A driver runs similar to a service but it manages the interface between the OS and hardware (including virtual hardware). Services and drivers both have a registry component and a software component. The registry consolidates all the information needed to define and run the hardware and software, for multiple users, including services, drivers, and all other processes, and keep that info in a consolidates series of files in a central location. If you have a typical installation, many services are configured as "automatic" which means they will start automatically when Windows starts or when the service is called for the first time. This can cause a lag in system startup which some consider undesirable performance.

If a service is configured as "manual," that means the user must start the service manually before it can be loaded by the operating system and made available for use. If a service is configured as "disabled," it cannot be started automatically or manually. Tweaking services to disable or manually start is a method used by advance users to help fine-tune and optimize system performance. Further, Malwarebytes' configuration can sometimes conflict with services used by other real-time protection software such as your anti-virus. Thus, checking these Advanced options in Malwarebytes is not something everyone wants to do. In some cases you may need to experiment with these options to determine how well they will work with your system.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users