Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display driver igfx stopped responding / windows won't start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 catbox_9

catbox_9

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:40 PM

Hello.

My computer was working fine. Then, in the process of moving, I turned it off for a week or two. When I tried to turn it back on as soon as I log into windows the screen flashes on and off a few times then it resets. There's a little message in the corner that says "Display driver igfx stopped responding and has succesfully reovered"

I can start in safe mode without any problems. I tried updating the drivers at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?

This does not work for me and I get a message stating 0x80070641 - The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:17 PM

I think you need to run windows update readiness tool for vista (32 or 64 depending on which your system is) and then run windows update, and then download and install windows installer, and then install the video driver again. I hesitate to link you to the exact things because I'm not totally sure and I don't want to mess you up. But if no one else replies with a clearer answer (which hopefully they will) then at least this points you in the right direction I think.

#3 catbox_9

catbox_9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:44 AM

I think you need to run windows update readiness tool for vista (32 or 64 depending on which your system is) and then run windows update, and then download and install windows installer, and then install the video driver again. I hesitate to link you to the exact things because I'm not totally sure and I don't want to mess you up. But if no one else replies with a clearer answer (which hopefully they will) then at least this points you in the right direction I think.

I tried to install windows update readiness tool for vista (64 bit) but got an error message "This service cannot be started in safe mode"

When I tried to run windows update, nothing happened. Windows installer won't install either (same error message as above)

Edited by catbox_9, 20 November 2014 - 02:51 AM.

#4 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:53 PM

In safe mode go to control panel, device manager, display adapters. There you should see your intel graphics device. Right click on it and pick Uninstall. Then reboot. This should reset your graphics driver to a generic one and then you should be able to get into regular windows instead of only safe mode.

#5 catbox_9

catbox_9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:26 PM

In safe mode go to control panel, device manager, display adapters. There you should see your intel graphics device. Right click on it and pick Uninstall. Then reboot. This should reset your graphics driver to a generic one and then you should be able to get into regular windows instead of only safe mode.

That did the trick! Thank you. Can't believe it was that simple.

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:50 PM

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users