Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help PLEASE Help

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:17 PM

I have a File in my documents that I cannot delete, when I go to the file and click properties It shows 26 files and the read only box is checked. If I un check the box and delete the folder I get the message that the name of the file is to long for the recycle bin (I have checked remove files immediately) other times I delete the file and it goes through the process the file disappears then comes back. I have tried to rename the files like 123 but I still get it is to long, I have expanded the folder and went to the last folder and tried to rename and delete to no avail,

Please Help

Jim

I have an HP all-in-one 6000 Pro

Windows 7 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

Try booting into safe mode, then deleting the file. What is the file path?

#3 wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:57 PM

\\JIM-PC\Users\Jim\Documents\Arduino

0 Files, 26 Folders

This is the path I will boot safe mode in the morning I tried once before to get rid of this file in safe mode but I can try again.

Thanks

#4 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:05 PM

Sometimes deleting the folder it's in helps.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,685 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:14 PM

Try changing the name of the file to something short.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

I have tried to delete the folder then I went to the end and tried to delete the last file which it would not even give me the choice, up one folder and I delete it and it comes back I have tried to rename everyone and that does not work what I might have to do is restart the whole thing from scratch except I have tried this and I get a file windows old and I cannot delete that file, I am at wits end. here is the file location;

C:\Users\Jim\Documents\Arduino\libraries\Arduino\libraries\Arduino\libraries\Arduino\libraries\Arduino\libraries\Arduino\libraries\Arduino\1\Arduino\libraries\Arduino\libraries\Arduino\libraries\Arduino\libraries\Arduino\libraries 1\Arduino

All folders are empty but properties tell me 26 files. I tried this in safe mode.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:42 PM

Try this:

Start Menu/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup.

RIGHT click on Disk Cleanup and choose Run as administrator.

Choose the drive to clean, click OK.

Let it run, it will take a minute or 2 to finish.

When finished you will see a list of things that can be safely deleted.

I don't know which one will have to be checked for that file deletion.

After checkmarking, click OK. Confirm deletion.

When finished see if the file disappears/comes back.

#8 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

If you are sure you want to delete it do a shift delete. Press and hold shift, then right click it and click delete.

WARNING. This will bypass the recycle bin altogether and delete the file, be careful with this.

#9 wisconsinjimmy

wisconsinjimmy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:39 PM

Does not work,, shows the file being deleted but then pops back up, I am just going to reformat this thing and hope it cures the problem.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

I think the path is too long and I don't know how it got there but where Windows fails, you can delete the folder using a linux live cd like Puppy linux.

I don't know if you have already reformatted but you can download Puppy linux here. Burn the iso file by right clicking the iso file and selecting burn image. Boot to the Puppy desktop. Click the hard drive icon in the lower left of the desktop, probably sda1. A File Manager window will open. Browse to the folder you want to delete. Right click and select Delete.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 November 2014 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users