Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Guy with Computer Problems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 at0801

at0801

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:13 PM

Hey guys, I'm having issues with my hard drive windows update (firmware in particular). If I run a windows troubleshooter it will claim the it's fixed, but I can run it again immediately and it will recognize the same problems. 0X80070490

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 November 2014 - 10:36 PM.
Moving topic to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:24 PM

What is your operating system?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 at0801

at0801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:32 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention that. I'm using the windows 10 tech preview, however, I had the same issue when I had Windows 8.1. Not sure if it's important, but I'm using a surface pro 3.

#4 at0801

at0801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:43 PM

Also, I've ran many scans with Defender and BitDefender. I'm by no means a "tech" guy, I don't know how to write or interpret code, but I would consider myself pretty good with computers for a general user, but I just can't get this figured out... Nor has windows tech support been able to, but the people I've chatted with haven't seemed all that smart. 

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:57 AM

at0801,  :welcome: to BC Forums!

Being that you're running a Preview OS, while this is no guarantee, open "cmd" & type in the below code to check the integrity of the system files. 

sfc /scannow

It's important to hit the space bar to have a blank after the sfc portion of the command. Your install media may be needed, so have it handy. And also being this is a Preview OS, some of the other options to repair this, such as the DISM tool, will likely not work. 

You must keep in mind what you agreed to (I hope that you read the docs & EULA beforehand) may include a rough ride. This isn't even a Consumer Preview yet & won't be for a few more months, so for those less experienced, running in a virtual machine (as I did) is a better option. 

I tried this on my main PC, and though all looked great at first, what a slap in the face after the first upgrade. Couldn't access my other OS's, until I went into the "msconfig" utility to boot to that SSD first. 

This is my advice, and I highly recommend for you to accept it, though you're not required to, you're headed for a rocky road this holiday season with this computer. Oh, and did you know that there's a keylogger in this OS? Everything you type goes to MS. That's right, even the things you don't want anyone to know. 

If you have recovery media for the OS that shipped with your computer (I hope that you created it, as was suggested, or a backup of your OS), I suggest that you reinstall that one. And if you wish to further test Windows Technical Preview, do it through VirtualBox. A virtual machine can do no damage to your OS or computer, unfortunately, the OS you're now running may be damaged. The recent upgrade may have made things worse & why you're receiving the errors. 

That is the best advice I can offer at this time, hopefully when the Consumer Previews are released, they'll be more "road ready", with less bumps in the ride. 

I have strong doubts about this being a security issue, rather a broken install, possibly from the latest upgrade. Something that your install media cannot fix, as the upgrade is newer than the media you have.

Nor has windows tech support been able to, but the people I've chatted with haven't seemed all that smart. 

Not the first time I've heard that, and have had a dose of their not being able to help myself. With their last stable OS, an 8.1 upgrade. 

Please let us know if we can further assist.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 gameffect

gameffect

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

u should run admin and go to window update 

#7 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

I do not believe that is the problem. As Cat said, we should try to reinstall Windows 8; since Windows 10 is a preview OS, it is more prone to self-damage from updates.

#8 calden

calden

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

Hey guys, I'm having issues with my hard drive windows update (firmware in particular). If I run a windows troubleshooter it will claim the it's fixed, but I can run it again immediately and it will recognize the same problems. 0X80070490

Try this from Admin command first: dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Then secondly run sfc /scannow

Hope this helps.

Edited by calden, 04 December 2014 - 04:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users