Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Window 7 Compatiblilty

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sallie48

Sallie48

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:23 PM

I just got a new computer running Windows 7.  I love it...no problems so far except with one CD that I used to use all of the time.   It is an old recipe Cd that I used with my old Vista computer.     I have tried using all of the compatiblity settings (using the wizard) but it still won't work.    Is there any external device that I could buy to read this CD and connect it to my computer?   I would hate to have to keep my old computer just so I can acess this CD.

PS.. The maker of the Cd does not have an updated version nor a downloadable version.    So I am stuck trying to use the one I've got.

Ty for any help you can give me.

Sal

Edited by Sallie48, 19 November 2014 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:28 PM

Look at Compatibility Mode in this link it may help a little more, you may need to down load Silver light.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/make-older-programs-run#1TC=windows-7

Edited by OldPhil, 19 November 2014 - 07:30 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

If that doesn't solve your problem there is another approach you could try and that is to set up a virtual machine on your computer.

This requires two bits of software. One is the virtualisation software, I use VMware's VMPlayer which is a free download for hobby / personal use but there are others out there including one from MS. The other is an operating system, in your case an installable copy of Vista.

Taking VMplayer as an example, you install this software on your Win 7 machine, start it running and then install the other OS - it can be almost any OS - into the virtual machine. It will pick up the hardware on your computer and this will allow you to run this old but valuable CD.

I have a 64 bit Win 7 system with 32 bit XP running in a virtual machine purely so that I can run some very old CAD software - it was written for Win 3.x - and just will not run on a 64 bit machine. You will also need to install A/V in the VM and such things as printer drivers if you want to print.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,124 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

Just thinking!  You tried compatibility on the disk, did you copy the disk to your HD?  Compatibility may or may not work on an item not loaded on the system not sure of that one!!!

Let us know how you make out, possibly you will help others.

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 20 November 2014 - 05:02 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users