Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does anyone here plays TaeKwonDo?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 nickautomatic

nickautomatic

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:59 PM

I have been into this sport for 10 years in our country. Can anyone share what or how is taekwondo in your country?

Edited by nekoray, 19 November 2014 - 04:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 princecharming

princecharming

• Banned Spammer
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 08 December 2014 - 05:05 AM

Hello to all. I am Prince Charming from USA. I am new here. Please tell me one thing that does anyone here plays TaeKwonDo???? I just listen, but do not know more about it. I want to know how to play this amazing and interesting game. My friends tell me that its a vary fabulous game to play, they had ever play in their whole life.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 09 December 2014 - 10:42 AM

TaeKwonDo is not a game to play. It is a very serious sport.
It requires many hours of training and requires physical and mental strength.
Often it takes years of training before one is proficient in the practice of TaeKwonDo.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:11 AM

I was under the impression that TaeKwanDo is not a game, or a sport, but a type of martial arts. While most people learn it for self defense it is done competitively. But it is not a sport.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:04 AM

Hi,

Taekwondo is a poor choice for self defense, since it has some rules which won't allow you to attack a street opponent effectively or knock him out. It is based on a lot of kicking and any halfway savy person will be able to catch your leg and bring you to a fall with this. I think you have better chances with Aikido for self defense, even though that's a much more static way of fighting.

I've done Taekwondo in the past, but never competitively and never for self defense. I've always done is at a sport and I've enjoyed that my training place allowed us to consider it a sport, without all the stuff that usually comes with martial arts from being in flow with the universe to strict rules on how to thank the mat for letting you train on it. When I changed club, I quickly lost interest because the new club was much stricter on how to dress and how to greet and it just took the fun out of it for me.

regards

myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:35 PM

actually thats what makes it a defensive martial arts myrti, its a defensive style as opposed to a offensive style. Its designed to keep you alive, without killing your opponent-enough to incapacitate him long enough for you to get away. If you want to eliminate your opponent in the fastest, most efficient way possible, try Krav Maga.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

As far as playing / using / employing TaeKwonDo it is not something I do myself but it is very popular in Central Scotland where I live, nearly every small town has a TaeKwonDo Club.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:26 AM

I used to practise a martial art called Tang Soo Do. The moves are the same as TaeKwonDo, but the forms are different. As has been stated, as self-defence goes, it only enables you cause enough distraction to escape.

Study of several martial arts may be necesarry, taking the best bits from each one, to be truly proficent at self defence. Being capable at ground fighting/wrestling can help if attacked by someone much stronger. Many scuffles end up as roll arounds on the floor.

I'm safe as I have a Phaser, but only have it on stun as I don't like to really hurt people.

#9 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,681 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:51 PM

actually thats what makes it a defensive martial arts myrti, its a defensive style as opposed to a offensive style. Its designed to keep you alive, without killing your opponent-enough to incapacitate him long enough for you to get away. If you want to eliminate your opponent in the fastest, most efficient way possible, try Krav Maga.

It's not just that. It doesn't teach the effective attacks and in consequence also does not deal with protecting against such attacks. It is just not really designed for an open fight. It lives because everyone respects the rules. In a fight you'll be facing people with other fighting styles and no rules. That puts you at a disadvantage.

• For example punches to the head are forbidden in Taekwondo, therefore you also don't really train any kind of defense against them. They are, however, the most likely form of attack you'd get in a streetfight. Really any type of punch is not highly approved off.. It gives you a point if it's in the stomach area, but it's the lowest possible scoring hit you can do in taekwondo.
  • Sweeps to knock out the feet from under your adversary are also forbidden (which would be quite an effective defensive tactic), you don't learn them as an attack and also not how to defend against them or how to defend yourself once you're lying on the ground.
  • Any types of hits on the back or legs are forbidden. You don't learn those and you don't learn how to protect against those. Actually any type of hit outside the defined hitzones (head and vest) are discarded and not protected against or trained.
  • Any type of holding your adversary is forbidden. Something you will very easily come across in a fight or at the beginning of an aggression.

I've always enjoyed taekwondo and I think it's an interesting sport to do.. I just don't think you'd stand much of a chance in a fight if you stuck to taekwondo.

regards

myrti

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

I think theres a difference between competition tae kwon doe and practical-in competition yes they limit attacks to the head etc. but when I took it, our instrucer could take out multiple opponents in a matter of seconds, literally, totally K/O. He told us competition rules dont apply on the street.  Keep in mind even in Tae kwon do theres even variance between instructors, in my area, if your a say a green belt from one instrucer and move to another town and switch instructers, they will make you start back at white belt, just because theres that much difference. 

When I took it as a kid, there were several moves that were aimed specifically at taking the opponents feet out. We had no hold moves, but were taught how to disable knees and take the air out of an opponent. :D

Edited by the_patriot11, 14 December 2014 - 03:31 PM.

picard5.jpg

#11 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:37 PM

I think it may come down to how you're taught and practise. I was for defensive reasons rather than competition.

#12 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• 33,681 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 03:48 PM

Hi,

I didn't know that nullifying belts was possible. We had someone come from the internationl taekwondo organisation to take the exams for the belts and they were officially recognised by one of the two big international organisations. I don't remember exactly which one, I remember there were two big ones at the time on the international level and you had to choose one of the two. We also had to be members of the german taekwondo organisation.

We were taught some self defense on the side as well in taekwondo classes, because our instructors wanted us to be able to defend ourselves. But it was quite clear that those moves were not part of taekwondo in itself and my point never was that you can not learn something useful for self defense during taekwondo lessons. I was saying that using taekwondo is not well suited for self defense, because it does not allow you to use your arms effectively and lacks defensive moves against sweeping and punches because they're simply not allowed in the sport.

This video imho illustrates quite nicely the issues of using taekwondo when the opponent doesn't respect the rules of taekwondo (and that's a blackbelt)

Nevertheless if I were to start martial arts again, I'd probably pick taekwondo, it's definitely the one that I found most enjoyable :)

#13 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 902 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

Great vid myrti, but when there are no rules, even low kicks are pointless, as the gap is usually closed too quickly. I was taught other skills too, as my instructors were proficent in Kung Fu, JuJitsu, and Judo.

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:00 PM

not all schools will make you "start over" but many will, and its not necessarily a "nullify" because you will still have that belt-and if you were to enter a competition, they would recognize that belt, you would just in essence be re-earning those belts again, just so the instructor knows your learning it his way. (or her way)  just because there is that variance. i personally, am more of a fan of the "modern arts" 

suitability-Copy_zps0c9cec2e.jpg

Edited by the_patriot11, 14 December 2014 - 06:02 PM.

picard5.jpg

#15 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:20 PM

I am have been into taekwondo for 10 years. Taekwondo mostly teaches for sports competition however, it also teaches self defense and it only applies for promotion exams. If you apply these self defense in real fight such as street fight plus those kicks used for competition, those can be deadly. Every belt level has it's own self defense sequence, from white belt up to black belts.

Edited by nickautomatic, 17 December 2014 - 04:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users