Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mic not showing up in devices

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Ward

Ed Ward

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:49 PM

I have this baffling microphone issue...its a separate microphone,stand alone setup,not a headset w/attached mic. The headphones show in playback devices & work beautifully (Sennheiser HD 205's mind blowing sound reproduction) anyways, so the mic isn't showing up in the Sound window for the Sound-max Integrated Digital HD Audio Soundcard.The computer is a HP Compaq dc5800 tower, Intel 2Duo cpu,E8400 @3.00ghz x2 64 bit Win7 Pro. I'm posting a link with the images that come up when you first plug in a mic in my computer & the AudioESP Analog Devices software pops open letting you know you plugged a device in. So I click OK & then another window replaces the first telling me that the mic has been properly configured,click OK in that window & it closes. Then I go down tot he lower right hand corner & click on the speak icon in the toolbar next to the date/time,to open the audio devices to configure the settings such as volume levels & possible mic boost if needed,etc. If you look at the image in the recording tab selected,you see in-line device, what's even stranger,I don;t have anything else plugged into that jack which happens to be in the back for specifically line-in devices. Windows was already setup when I bought it,so I never installed it,not sure if that makes a difference or not. So I talked to the support company that sold the unit via tigerdirect & he was baffled to after we went through all the obvious steps, physical connections,driver updating (drivers said they were of newest installation & would not update) right click on line-in device & check Show disabled & Show Disconnected devices, nothing changed it just shows the line-in device which isn't connected..?? I'm thinking maybe the plug in jack receptacle is bad like shorted out or some malfunction in the card board,but the speaker/headphones jack receptacle is right next to the mic & it works perfectly...I don't know,totally baffled. The tech support guy did suggest maybe looking into a mic jack to usb adapter see if that resolves the issue. Oh & yes I did test the mic in another computer & it works just fine,so it's not the microphone itself.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/xplicithalostar/15643255968/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:11 PM

Have you tried plugging the mic into the pink jack on the back of the computer?

#3 Ed Ward

Ed Ward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:12 AM

Well I would have,if there was one,sadly this computer only has two plugs in the back one is green for rear speakers & the other is grey for line-in jacks. I was baffled to see it myself. Every other computer I have had has like 6 jack receptacles in the back.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:52 AM

From google searching it appears other people were having mic problems with this audio card. Right click the ADI Soundmax device in Device Manager. Select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and paste the first line in your next post. Also, in the properties window, what is the version number of the driver?

#5 Ed Ward

Ed Ward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hardware IDS:  HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1884&SUBSYS_103C281E&REV_1001

Driver Details: SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio

Driver Provider: Analog Devices

Driver Date:       5/21/2009

Driver Version:  6.10.2.6585

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:48 PM

That definitely is the latest driver. I can't think of anything else unless you can access some setting in the AudioESP. Do you know anyone who might have a USB mic you can test? I think the support tech was correct in suggesting a USB to mic adapter. Maybe something like this.

There are no yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager, correct?

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:06 PM

Do you have front audio ports for mic and headphones?

Tekken

#8 Ed Ward

Ed Ward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

I was able to connect a usb headset,although I had make it just recognize the mic & ot the headphones,cos they can't hold a candle to my Sennheiser headphones (awesome sound reproduction) it worked for awhile,but I finally sent the thing back to them. I did find out via H.P. website Hewlett Packard that the bios had a flaw in it's original design,no access to sound configurations,& the videocard issue was something they just couldn't figure out. So I decided to send it back for a refund,which that in itself was one of the most unreal customer "no service" experiences I've ever had.

I did learn my lesson as to not dealing with TG ever again. Upon further research it seems they had an accumulative amounts of complaints through the Better Business Bureau,1264 as of Dec. 18th 2014. I shoulda stuck stuck with a Dell computer,I know them rather well,live & lean I guess. Hope everyone else has had a Happy New Year.

#9 Ed Ward

Ed Ward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

This topic can be closed,got a different computer.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,050 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:27 AM

Much better luck this time around, be happy with new toy!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users