Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't power on

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brandio

Brandio

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

It is an hp laptop that we got new 2 years ago. It has been working fine but it shut off and now it won't turn back on. The light indicating that is charging is on and I've tried turning it on with and with out the battery and with two different chargers. I have tried the steps below multiple times and it didn't do any thing.

1. Unplug AC adapter from laptop. 
2. Remove the battery. 
3. Press and hold the power on button for 1 full minute. 
Yes, many machines only require 10 or 15 seconds but this reset instruction is generic and I have found people hold the button for 9 or 14 seconds so let's write the full minute. 
4. Let go of the power on button. 
5. Slip in the battery pack. 
6. Plug in the power to the laptop and to the wall. 
7. Do not plug in any other devices. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

Do the above but do not replace the battery. Only plug in the charger and see if it boots. It's also possible a non-booting computer is the result of a bad CMOS battery. Replace it. Set the BIOS setting to default. See if the computer boots. When replacing the CMOS battery, remove the main battery and charger.

What is the model number of the HP?

#3 Brandio

Brandio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:07 PM

I tried it without replacing the battery and it didn't do anything. I havn't tried to replace the CMOS battery yet. The number is 2000-2d62NR

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,995 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

Here is the service manual. Unfortunately, it looks like the computer has to be almost completely torn down to get at the CMOS battery. See page 72.

#5 Brandio

Brandio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:44 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I replaced the CMOS battery and the computer still is not starting up.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,995 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:47 PM

You have done the most important fix which is to powercycle the computer and that failed. I am not sure what else to do other than have a good independent shop look at it. See this hp page for troubleshooting a laptop that does not power on. Did you leave the adapter/charger in overnight after the new CMOS battery was installed?

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:02 PM

A few things to try (REMOVE THE BATTERY AND POWER BEFORE REMOVING ANY HARDWARE OR CABLE CONNECTIONS):

Try turning on the computer with an external monitor connected. If you get no image on that after ~5 minutes, then try the following:

If the computer has 2 sticks of ram, pull one and try with only one. If that doesn't work, move that stick to the other slot, if that does not work, replace the stick in the computer with the one you pulled out before and try that new stick in both slots. Try every stick of ram you have in each slot by itself.

If you still get no post, you can try removing all other devices: dvd drive, wireless card, hard drive, keyboard, touchpad, webcam, etc, essentially you would be disconnecting everything except the built in monitor, a stick of ram, the cpu, and the cpu cooler/fan, power button. Then try to power on (with just the power adapter).

Any component can cause a no post. Removing them to the bare minimum and then retrying each stick of ram in each slot will help rule some of those out. If they are not connected, they can not cause a problem with post.

Edited by zingo156, 16 February 2015 - 04:06 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users