Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Suggestions for building an Entertainment / Server PC?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:17 AM

Hi,

Just that, I've been wanting to build an Entertainment / Server PC for a long while and as things happen my current PC seems to have crashed on me. So, if I can't get it back up and running I my just go ahead and build my dream machine / Entertainment / Server PC.

I do need to keep it reasonably priced so any suggestions on what to look for in way of motherboard (preferably just one video slot and as many other slots as possible) and CPU (willing to use an i7) will be greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions for hard drive configuration or any other configuration for such a PC will be greatly appreciated too. I can also transfer my hauppauge from current PC to this new PC.

Thanks,

John

Edited by Johnz414, 19 November 2014 - 11:17 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:57 PM

Could you maybe define a budget and does dream machine just mean good for serving up media?

Also, what OS are you running and what kind of server is it?

#3 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:28 PM

Like ihavanswer posted, I would normally start by asking if you have a budget planned out, and any ideas on exactly what you want to use this computer for. You say server/entertainment PC, will you be doing any gaming? As far as a server goes, are you going to use it to store media and then access from other devices in your home? Great choice in my book to go with building a custom computer :thumbsup:

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#4 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for responding,

I'm thinking of around $4 to 500 for a mother board and CPU. I immaging the CPU will cost the most. As for the rest I'd canablize my existing custom built from 2008 (that seems to be failing) for hard drives, hauppauge, and anything esle that may make sence for now.

Later I'd like to include upgrading to some (at least) 4 TB hard drives for massive storage of movies and music. Maybe a raid 3 (if that what it's called), 3 4 TB hard drives in raid for massive storage (this is my dream part for some day).

I have Windows 7 but I'm thinking of just making a server for entertainment purposes (movies and music only, I'm not a gamer) and for document storage.

I throw the video up on my flat pannel TV and music through my receiver via Toslink.

So, maybe a server OS for this and thinking of getting a cheep laptop for surfing, maybe.

PS I think custom built is the only way to go too!

John

Albert Einstein.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:12 AM

Are you looking for a server in the sense that the files on it will be shared over a network with other devices?  I.e. are you looking to play files located on this with things like a Blu Ray Player, TV, iPad, other computers etc.?  Or are you just looking for a computer that you connect to your TV with a lot of storage capability?

If you are looking to share over a network, I think it might be more sensible to have a dedicated machine to act as a server, or even purpose built NAS (network attached storage).  Reason being you would want this to be on all of the time, and not affected by whatever else you happen to be doing on the computer at the time.  You can make a NAS out of an older computer, and there are free operating systems customised for the purpose like NAS4Free which is well suited to less powerful computers being re-used as servers.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

I didn't really need a SERVER, as that implies an array that holds software programs and data base for a particular network.  I just wanted a machine on my local wired network for the WIFI users on the router to store videos, music and photos.  They would then be share-able with all on the network.  I just bought a low priced case, an extra fan, an Intel i5 MOBO and four 500GB SATA drives.   It runs WIN7 and normally has no keyboard or monitor except for startup or maintenence.

#7 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:59 PM

Hi,

I see what I'm looking to do is called a "Home Theater PC" or HTPC and hooking it up to a router should provide the connectivity I'm looking for.

I've found these pages here for info on getting started:

1. Lifehacker's version of building your own HTPC
  2. Budget System's page for choosing components which I thought may be helpful in choosing parts
  3. Britec09's YouTube video showing the making of a HTPC
  4. Tech Uploaded's version of custom building a HTPC

I have noticed that a lot of people are suggesting using an AMD processor for a HTPC because their choices may provide a better fit for a HTPC.

Any suggestions along these lines will be helpful too.

Edited by Johnz414, 30 November 2014 - 02:02 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#8 enginoor

enginoor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2015 - 11:41 AM

I would recommend a A10-7850K processor, I used one in my recent HTPC build (http://www.enginoor.com/building-a-home-theater-pc/).  It's great for CPU intensive media such as 1080p 60fps Youtube.

I'm also a big fan of networked attached storage boxes, they're pretty cheap and super reliable, I'm partial to QNAP and have a 4 drive box on my network, http://www.enginoor.com/ultimate-home-network/.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users