Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloads increase nonpaged memory pool usage.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ezalor

Ezalor

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

Heyo all.

It's been three days that I've trying to solve this problem, and right now I have no idea what to do next.

I noticed that my memory usage would get very high as time went on. Windows would use 3GB by itself, with no processes accounting for this. This also caused a bluescreen at one point with a "Kernal inpage error". I've checked in process explorer and the All Users section of task manager, but the RAM usage amounts don't add to the total usage. All of this memory is in my Nonpaged pool, and after further searching I've found that it increases whenever a program is downloading something from the internet. I've updated my Ethernet port's drivers but that has had no effect whatsoever.

I've tried tdsskiller, combofix, and ran a scan with Avast and Malwarebytes. All of which have found no problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's annoying to have to reboot my PC every 2 hours if I have a download running...

Edited by Ezalor, 19 November 2014 - 02:15 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:59 PM

Open the Task Manager and look in Processes and watch to see if a specific process is increasing in its use of memory.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ezalor

Ezalor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:15 PM

Open the Task Manager and look in Processes and watch to see if a specific process is increasing in its use of memory.

No processes use the memory that is reported my PC is using. This is through Process Explorer, Resource Monitor and Task Manager with all users showing. If I add the amounts together, they do not total my PC's usage.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

You posted that the memory usage increased as time went on.  This would only happen if you had more processes being added, or if one process is increasing in its use of memory.  This is why I suggest looking in the Task Manager under Processes over a period of time to see if there is a specific process increasing it its use of memory.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Ezalor

Ezalor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

You posted that the memory usage increased as time went on.  This would only happen if you had more processes being added, or if one process is increasing in its use of memory.  This is why I suggest looking in the Task Manager under Processes over a period of time to see if there is a specific process increasing it its use of memory.

It increases as I download things, or use my internet. All visibile processes do not increment in any unusual way. I presumed it was a memory leak in my Ethernet driver but a reinstall of the driver didn't fix.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:55 AM

What you have described does sound like a memory leak.  The easiest way to determine if this is what is going on is to open the Task Manager, click on Performance and monitor the RAM without out adding any processes out of the normal use until the computer begins to slow down.  If there is a memory leak the RAM usage will slowly grow.

Basically what happens is memory is allocated for a process, when the process ends this memory normally is released.  In the case of a memory leak this memory isn't released and will continue to place a draw on the memory.  This can eventually result in a soft shut down, or cause a crash.  The only way to release the memory is to restart the computer.

If this is a memory leak you may be able to find the process causing this through the process of elimination.

This becomes complicated because there are other types of problems which can cause this as well.  Like Virtual Memory Leaks, Paged and Nonpaged Pool, and Handles. 

For more information Windows Seven Forums has a good article.

#7 Ezalor

Ezalor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

None of my processes show any sign of increasing RAM usage. Whenever there is data passing through my Ethernet port my nonpaged memory pool slowly increases. My nonpaged pool is the only indication of the leak. If I remove my Ethernet cable, the nonpaged pool stops rising entirely. Are there any aspects of Windows related to downloading that could cause the leak?

I've already got a thread on the seven forums, but the people there couldn't find a solution so I decided to try my luck here.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

Please post a link to your topic in the Windows Seven Forums.

#9 Ezalor

Ezalor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:14 AM

Here it is: http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/352579-pc-using-high-amounts-ram-when-idle-up-50-no-reason.html

There were quite a lot of replies at first, but now it seems everyone has stopped...

Edited by Ezalor, 20 November 2014 - 11:15 AM.

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:32 PM

- Increased memory usage in the "non-paged-pool" can be made visible with a program called RAMMAP

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ff700229.aspx

- "JONUK76" had a similar problem. The solution was to make a (small) change to the registry. See:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/542383/possible-memory-leak-somewhere/

#11 Ezalor

Ezalor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:42 PM

It's late right now, but as soon as I'm able to use my PC again I'll try that. However, I have a realtek driver instead of the E2200 Killer driver that Jounk76 has so I'm not sure if it'll work.

It's worth a try though, and i'll install RAMMap as well!

#12 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:51 PM

I don't think JONUK76 had the exact same problem but it gives you a clue in which direction the solution can be found. Perhaps the software or hardware producer has a website where you can obtain more help.

#13 Ezalor

Ezalor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:14 PM

Sorry for the long delay, I had to attend to some family matters :/

I haven't been able to check through RAMMAP yet as my Nonpaged pool hasn't climbed that much as I've not been downloading much today. As soon as it gets unreasonable I'll check it in RAMMap.

My Ethernet driver is from Realtek, and their site is very barebones. Little to no information whatsoever about my driver -.-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users