Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank screen after unsuccessfully trying new power source?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:56 AM

Hi,

I purchased a new power source for my tower PC only to find that the terminal on the back of it doesn't fit my tower frame.

So, I had to put the old power source back in. Only when I did hook everything back up the way it was I get a blank screen when turning the PC on? Nothing happens, no signal to the monitor at all, no matter what I do.

Now, I do need to mention that when I pulled the power source I didn't remove a tall heat sink over the CPU and therefore kind of bent slightly the heat sink. I have re-attached the heat sink since then inspecting the CPU for damage but did not find any.

Everything has been reattached as before including data cables to hard drives and still no signal to the monitor? I am currently using a library PC because I have no access on my personal PC. I therefore, will have to get any info you might want and get back to the library to post it. Ah!

In the mean time can anyone help with this issue? What might be happening here (or at home) and how do I fix it?

I have removed the motherboard battery for 60 seconds, nothing. I've attached only one hard drive, nothing. I've removed a host of components attached to the motherboard, nothing.

Could I have compromised the CPU and/or the motherboard?

Again, any help will be appreciated, thanks!

John

PS Also, if it comes to either the motherboard and/or CPU being damaged can anyone suggest a decent operating and priced motherboard that will take an i7 CPU (preferably having only one video card slot and as many other slots as possible)? I've posted this question HERE under System Building and Upgrading, suggestions for a new build can posted there. Thanks!

Edited by Johnz414, 19 November 2014 - 11:22 AM.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 marktime

marktime

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 11:59 AM

Hi John

I don't want to tell you how to suck eggs but have you plugged in the 4/8 pin auxiliary power lead for the motherboard? And does your graphics card take any extra power leads? If you do have a graphics card have you tried booting off the motherboard graphics (if available) with the graphics card removed? Again, don't want to state the obvious if you've already done it, but even seasoned pro's can cock up on the simplest thing.

Mark

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:33 PM

Thnaks for the advice but yeah, the 4 pin auxilary is plugged into the motherboard and there is no graphics on the mb. The graphics card taked 2 - 6 pins and they are both plugged in, I've checked all connections a few times, they look good and still a blank screen.

I do get what you're saying though, missing the simplest of things happens, so I'll check once more.

There is one thing now that I'm thinking about it and that is when the operating system starts it usually checks the Logetec cam by swivaling it back and forth but it's not doing that. I think this would happen evern if the graphics was out so I'm not sure what's happening?

Edited by Johnz414, 19 November 2014 - 05:37 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 marktime

marktime

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:55 AM

There is one thing now that I'm thinking about it and that is when the operating system starts it usually checks the Logetec cam by swivaling it back and forth but it's not doing that. I think this would happen evern if the graphics was out so I'm not sure what's happening?

Is the PC actually posting? Do you get a beep and a flash on of the keyboard lights? If so does the hard drive light start flashing as if it's loading windows?

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:13 AM

Nothing happens. I have wireless mouse and keyboard through USB and no lights on the terminal or mouse or keyboard. No flashing hard drive either. Notto!

The hard drives are spinning, the light on the motherboard is lit, fin lights are on as well as fans,the DVD player is running (opens and closes) but no displaying an OS in it on start up. Fans on Video card are on too.

Not sure what this all means though? issue with motherboard?

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:25 PM

This is an apparent failure of the connectors for the power supply at the MOBO.  The common fault is an over heated connection that become brittle and fractures when moved.  The result is a poor connection when any source is applied, new or old.  This would require the MOBO be removed and the terminals resoldered on the non-component side of the board. Not an easy fix, tedious and good solder skills could restore  the connection.

#7 marktime

marktime

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

Whoa, lets not jump to a dead connector conclusion so soon without doing basic diagnostics first.

First things first; take out or disconnect everything that is not vital to the system. So Hard drives, DVD drive, graphics card and any other cards, all USB devices.

Essentially you just want the CPU, some RAM and a power supply. Now just have you monitor plugged into the MOBO (or leave it out if your MOBO does not support video by itself) and see if you get a POST beep. Whilst you're there, unplug and replug the power connectors and reseat the ram and CPU for good measure. Weird things like this happen from time to time. My work PC can't be shut down and turned back on again straight away, it either has to have the power supply removed from the MOBO or be left for some capacitors to drain. 

Let me know how it goes.

#8 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:36 PM

Ok, I've disconnected everything except the CPU and RAM, there is no video on the motherboard so no video connection either. The result is there is still no post beep of any kind.

Even when adding the video card with above still nothing, no signal, no beep.

I've reseated RAM (a number of times) and CPU (once) and still no signal or beep.

If I could find the duo corp I removed over a year ago I'll try replacing the Quad Corp CPU with that to see if makes a diff, otherwise I take it that the motherboard (or CPU) my be suspect here?

John

Albert Einstein.

#9 marktime

marktime

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

Try and find that old CPU and replace it, try another known good stick of RAM from another PC if possible. My only other thought is that some boards will not post unless they detect a video output device, although that is normally signalled by a beep code loop. So try and find a graphics card or borrow one from some one. If not it will either be the MOBO or PSU I'm afraid :(

#10 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

Ok,

1. 1st, I tried the PSU in another PC to find that it works fine.
  2. 2nd, I finally found the duo core and replaced the quad core and still nothing.

The inescapable conclusion is that the mobo is broken!

So, time to figure out what to do next. I'm thinking of getting a simple laptop and then building a HTPC, any comments on that can be done HERE.

Thanks for all the help in the mean time!

John

Albert Einstein.

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:19 PM

Access to a lighted magnifier  would surely shed some light on the problem.  A fractured solder joint at the power supply connectors, on the underside of the MOBO would exhibit the faults you've seen. 

#12 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:14 PM

After letting it sit for a while I've taken another look at this mobo and with haven done all possible scenarios, different CPU, diff RAM with everything pulled except the CPU and RAM and then with the video card still nothing.

I've also, taken the mobo out and inspected it underneath for any broken power connections and everything looks fine.

So, I've apparently broken the mobo when trying to remove the power supply without removing a very tall heat sink on the CPU first. All those tinny connections running away from the CPU, some may have been fractured when doing this.

So, as much as I'd love to purchase all new (current tech) replacements for the mobo and CPU I'll be optioning for just getting a compatible replacement mobo for the core 2 quad I've been using.

I've found this on eBay as an option: ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

This won't set me back as much and then I can piece meal as I get a little more cash for that HTPC I've been dreaming of building. In fact my core 2 quad should be enough to run a dedicated HTPC for when I'm ready to invest a little or a lot more. Then I'll just get that laptop I mentioned above for surfing.

Anyhow, any suggestions for getting the most out of an Intel core 2 quad LGA 775 as far a mobo goes would be greatly appreciated. The few things I am looking for in a mobo are a Toslink connection and more than 4 SATA connections. (I like my music, movies and have the need for more than 4 SATA connections).

Again thanks for any suggestions.

John

Albert Einstein.

#13 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

Hi,

Ended up getting a Gigabyte motherboard GA-EP45-UD3P that has better options for what I want to do.

However, it does finally seem to be the power supply that is at fault here and not the ASUS motherboard. I had the same issues with the Gigabyte mobo until I switched out the power supply and then (most) everything worked.

Like I said above, I like the options the Gigabyte has over the ASUS so I'm going to stick with the Gigabyte (for now).

All though, I am having some issues with audio that I'm sharing HERE for anyone interested in helping out. Thanks for taking a look!

Edited by Johnz414, 28 December 2014 - 03:55 PM.

John

Albert Einstein.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users