Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk /f not checking on reboot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lucky72

lucky72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hi,

My windows 7 Toshiba Laptop with Kaspersky internet security has some hdd errors.

chkdsk comes (2x) with 

De kenmerkrecord (128, "") uit het bestandsrecordsegment .... is beschadigd

(dutch, translates like "The attribute record (128, "") from the file record segment .... is damaged)

chkdsk /f does not make chkdsk run on reboot, starts as normal.

Registry key 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute was set to

autocheck autochk /p \??\C:

autocheck autochk *

I tried disabling kaspersky, no change. Didn't uninstall it (yet)

Any advise?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:47 AM

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#3 lucky72

lucky72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:38 AM

Hi Allan,

Thanx for your quick reply. Starting as administrator didn't change anything, still no check on reboot.

The value AFTER reboot in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

is still

autocheck autochk /r \??\C:
autocheck autochk *

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:24 AM

I'm tempted to ask you to delete the first autocheck entry, but before we do that let's try this. Please go to the website of your hd manufacturer and download their dos level diagnostic utility. Burn it to disc, boot to it and run it. With any luck that will identify and repair any hd errors. And truth be told, that is the preferred method of checking and fixing your hd anyway. Before doing any of this I suggest you either have a valid disc image (which I suggest everyone does on a regular basis) or at least backup your critical data. I make this suggestion because if your hd does have some physical errors that require the diagnostic utility to move data around and mark some sectors as unusable, there is always a slim chance that some data may be damaged or lost in the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users