Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PB iMedia tower Needs Bios Flash

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mannshands

mannshands

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 06:21 AM

Hi,

I have inherited a Packard Bell tower iMedia MC 1607, UTOW-SAN, SAN984517. 3.1 Ghz, 2Gb RAM. I can't see it on the PB support site.It has 64bit capacity in the BIOS options(set to on) BUT it came with WinXP 32 bit OS, so I tried to upgrade to Win 7 32bit with a freshly formatted/partitioned hdd. It seemed to install ok from a Rufus created Flash drive and was working fine. When I restarted the next time I get a error, Win couldn;t start. When I choose startup repair, or start normally, either way I get a BSOD msg: not ACPI compliant, need BIOS update.

OK, I can flash a BIOS, but where is it? Not even listed on the PG Support UK site! Or is this something GRUB Repair disc or MBR Repair could fix? Is this box 32 or 64 bit? 

Anybody have some advice?

Thanks

mannshands

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:32 AM

I think you are going to be out of luck but I suggest you start here. Use the Wayback machine to find your packard bell. You may have to select a different year. You will not be able to download the BIOS but you can search for it on google and something may come up. For instance, I selected a Packard Bell Imedia image and got to here. I selected a BIOS update, did a search on google and then got to here where I was able to download the BIOS.

Selecting the wrong BIOS will brick the computer, so look carefully and determine what motherboard you have. From what I can see the only BIOS updates are for XP. Good Luck.

#3 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

Thanks JohnC.

I poked around the wayback machine without luck. Can find no mention of my model, but saw a few similar units had Vista drivers for some devices.  I am considering reinstalling XP and trying to upgrade to Vista, then to Win7. Can;t hurt to try that. Still dont know if this is 32 or 64 bit...

mannshands

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:31 PM

Once you get the OS up, you can determine if it's 64 bit capable using this.

#5 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

Ummmm, I need to know the bits to choose the right OS.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

I am not sure I understand. The utility will tell you if the CPU is 64bit capable. If not, you will need to run a 32bit OS. On that computer, I think you would be better off running 32bit especially if the RAM is under 3GB. Do you know what processor is in the computer?

#7 mannshands

mannshands
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:12 PM

Prob solved. No BIOS flash needed, Is an Acer mobo, got a ACPI patch for BIOS on Acer site then installed 32 bit OS.

Thanks!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,017 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 12:22 PM

Thanks for the update. How did you determine it was an ACER MB? Was there something on the MB itself?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users