Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu for gaming PC?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:53 AM

I picked up a gaming tower minus hard drive at a garage sale it has Intel DG31PR motherboard,Intel core 2 quad CPU q8200 2.33ghz, Intel EM64T capable. Bios; PRG3110H.86A.0065.2009.0421.1559.(Graphics card,Gigabyte Windforce.) 4gb DDR2 800mhz ram. 430 watt power supply. Instead of me buying a windows OS,could I use an Ubuntu version to operate it, I'm asking this here because I have no experience at all of Ubuntu or Linux for that matter.I installed a clean formatted 160gb sata hard drive and started the PC, after the Intel screen it shows a black screen with the word GRUB and a blinking cursor? I inserted a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 into the CD/DVD drive but nothing happened? Have I got the wrong Bios and it needs to be updated or have I gone wrong somewhere else,as you can see I haven't much of an idea of where to go from here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:50 AM

I inserted a copy of Ubuntu 10.10

Ubuntu 10 where did you get that? That is way to old.

Current version of Ubuntu.

Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS (Trusty Tahr)

I inserted a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 into the CD/DVD drive but nothing happened?

You may need to reset the boot order in bios so the PC boots from CD Once that is done.  save changes reboot. The Bootable CD ( ISO) must be in the CD draw when the PC boots.

I use an Ubuntu version to operate it

Yes or one of the many other Distros.

Ubuntu for gaming PC?

Depending on what games, While things are getting better Linux is not that big on games, Even Steam sucks on Linux.

I picked up a gaming tower minus hard drive at a garage sale it has Intel DG31PR motherboard,Intel core 2 quad CPU q8200 2.33ghz, Intel EM64T capable. Bios; PRG3110H.86A.0065.2009.0421.1559.(Graphics card,Gigabyte Windforce.) 4gb DDR2 800mhz ram. 430 watt power supply

With that set up if you decide to run Linux forget the rest and try Kubuntu 14.04 LTS | Kubuntu This is Linux on steroids and so easy to use.

http://youtu.be/o2Iyc0jn89Q

If you wish to continue with Linux and remember this, Windows software and games will NOT run in Linux, Please reply here and we will be happy to continue to guide you.  Do not be afraid of Linux it's not that hard.

If not you need windows.

PS.

This is what you can do with Kubuntu/Ubuntu and its all Free of cost and NO MALWARE. And that PC will do all this easily.

http://youtu.be/4QokOwvPxrE

Edited by NickAu1, 19 November 2014 - 03:58 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:00 AM

Well as I was about to say:

Aussie Aussie Aussie OI OI OI

Welcome to Linux, Sandgroper (WA) :welcome:

... but Nick beat me what a surprise (not)

With that HP Pavlova you should be able to download all the stuff you need for the new puter.

Ubuntu's Maverick Meerkat (10.10) had its support end April 10, 2012. The LTS (Long Term Support) have 5 years support (as little as 3 with some Distros), but the sub-upgrades only get 6 - 9 months and make a mess of your puter.

Windows software and games will NOT run in Linux

... and Nick's telling porkies, but I'll leave you in his capable hands

:wizardball: Nitey-nite all, Wizard

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:15 AM

Windows software and games will NOT run in Linux

... and Nick's telling porkies, but I'll leave you in his capable hands

No I am not telling lies I am stating a fact. Prove me wrong. Without using an emulator or VM. Tell me what Windows  EXE will run natively in Linux.

Yes there is Wine and Play on Linux , However it's hit and miss with these. (These are emulators that add a windows like environment to Linux. ( Basic explanation for novices))

Especially when it comes to games. To avoid confusing novices to Linux and disappointing them when they find out UberSlasher9000 wont run in Wine or if it dose its jerky and crashes all the time.......Again I state, It is best to assume that no Windows games or software will run on Linux.

And I do not normally recommend Wine or Play on Linux to anybody as they can add insecurity to Linux. Remember this if it can run Windows software it can run Windows Malware. And while it can't really hurt Linux, It could make a mess in your home folder.

Edit

PS Another Aussie cool. From WA huh oh well we cant all be perfect, At least you are not a Queenslander , And a Maroons supporter.

Edited by NickAu1, 19 November 2014 - 05:31 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#5 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:22 AM

Thanks for pointing it out,I set the bios to boot from CD and it worked! So at least I know the computer is working OK.So games don't work on Linux,is that all games dont work or just some of them dont work? How do I uninstall this version and install Kubuntu 14.04 LTE ? Im getting this going for my 15 year old daughter,she has an Alien 14 laptop already and I thought she would like this as well. Whats the consensus here should I go with Linux or windows?

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:43 AM

Im getting this going for my 15 year old daughter, Whats the consensus here should I go with Linux or windows?

Say goodbye to a few hundred bucks and say hello to Windows 7 or worse yet Windows 8. 

Thanks for pointing it out,I set the bios to boot from CD and it worked!

Great to hear.

So games don't work on Linux,is that all games dont work or just some of them dont work?

Like I said assume the worst, No Windows games will work.

Im getting this going for my 15 year old daughter, and I thought she would like this as well.

It depends on what she will use it for. Eg Facecrook Twitter Surfing the net all these will be safer no nasty viruses and such. Maybe you can set it up with Linux as a family PC.

How do I uninstall this version and install Kubuntu 14.04 LTE ?

Download the ISO

Kubuntu 14.04 LTS — Long Term Support

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Then burn it to CD. On Windows 7 place a blank cd into the cd drive cancel any boxes that open. Then browse to where ever you saved the downloaded ISO ( Usually in the downloads folder) and double click the ISO and windows will do the rest. You already know how to boot from CD.

Now watch this video the name of the linux is different but its exactly the same process. When you come to the section that asks how you want to install Kubuntu select replace what ever operating system and Linux will format the drive for you and do the rest just like in the video

http://youtu.be/SQ970AlX4Ek

What operating system did that PC have on it before you got it?

Edited by NickAu1, 19 November 2014 - 04:51 AM.

Arch Linux .

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

My guess is Vista or XP, if downgraded. 

Though there is Steam for Linux, and more games are being added, it's a long way from equaling a Windows gaming machine. 

However, being that you have a teenager in the home, will likely be doing some social networking, a Linux OS is the best option for that, plus making secure transactions & email checking (those nasty attachments that cripples/encrypts Windows computers are useless on a Linux one). The first priority is to make sure the Firewall is enabled. To do that, open the Terminal & type (or copy/paste):

sudo ufw enable 

It's best to do this before running the first System Update, so that it's not forgotten. The cool thing about this free Firewall is that no inbound traffic is allowed by default, that goes a long way in keeping you & your family protected. 

WINE is an option to run certain Windows software, such as MS Office, as covered here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/539061/how-to-install-microsoft-office-2010-in-ubuntu-with-wine/

However, as much as WINE has progressed over the years (& it has), it's not meant to install a gaming console. Nor would any of the virtual machine solutions, such as VirtualBox. 

What you could do is use Windows for gaming only, and run your items of importance on a Linux OS, as pointed out above in Kubuntu 14.04 LTS — Long Term Support. 

Or go with the what's the near perfect drop in replacement for Windows in Linux Mint Mate 64 bit. 

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Cinnamon is getting popular, however for best performance, a recent graphics card is best. Plus I recommend MATE to get in the door, to get used to the OS, the Start Menu is as close as to Windows as it gets. Oh, and Mint 17 64 bit will cruise on that PC. If you decide to go this route, make sure to get the correct bit version for your machine. 

Though I & other Linux users here can highly recommend a Linux OS for best security, it's some time away from being a gaming OS contender. It's not because of the fact they're LInux OS's, it's the gaming and graphic card developers holding up progress. We're treated as freeloaders, even though we've purchased the hardware. I don't understand why Intel, NVIDIA & AMD doesn't see that. Many Linux PC's are built from scratch & though the OS is free, the hardware isn't. So they should write drivers for Linux that's as good as for Windows & Mac. 

AMD especially, they need whatever business they can get. Every year, there's another wave of layoffs. Linux growth has far exceeded the number of reduced employees, by the numbers & as a percentage. Too blind to see an opportunity, is the only way I can figure. They can establish partnerships with key retailers that can place popular Linux distros on the map like never before, and at the same time, dig themselves out of the deep hole they're in. Instead, it looks like they're just rolling over & allowing their fade to continue. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:05 AM

Im getting this going for my 15 year old daughter, Whats the consensus here should I go with Linux or windows?

Say goodbye to a few hundred bucks and say hello to Windows 7 or worse yet Windows 8. 

Thanks for pointing it out,I set the bios to boot from CD and it worked!

Great to hear.

So games don't work on Linux,is that all games dont work or just some of them dont work?

Like I said assume the worst, No Windows games will work.

Im getting this going for my 15 year old daughter, and I thought she would like this as well.

It depends on what she will use it for. Eg Facecrook Twitter Surfing the net all these will be safer no nasty viruses and such. Maybe you can set it up with Linux as a family PC.

How do I uninstall this version and install Kubuntu 14.04 LTE ?

Download the ISO

Kubuntu 14.04 LTS — Long Term Support

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Then burn it to CD. On Windows 7 place a blank cd into the cd drive cancel any boxes that open. Then browse to where ever you saved the downloaded ISO ( Usually in the downloads folder) and double click the ISO and windows will do the rest. You already know how to boot from CD.

Now watch this video the name of the linux is different but its exactly the same process. When you come to the section that asks how you want to install Kubuntu select replace what ever operating system and Linux will format the drive for you and do the rest just like in the video

http://youtu.be/SQ970AlX4Ek

It didn't have a hard drive,remember? Sorry about the late reply but the email alert isn't working?

#9 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:19 AM

Most games and high end hardware do not work under ubuntu. If you're a student, most the time you can get windows for free if not uber cheap. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:36 AM

high end hardware do not work under ubuntu.

Such as?

Arch Linux .

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:27 AM

high end hardware do not work under ubuntu.

Really? I've seen a few low end machines that struggled to run Ubuntu, but it screams on the two higher end computers that I have, and runs fairly decent on the mid range ones. My lowest end one may have some problems. 

An i7-4770 is in the top five most common top end CPU's according to PassMark, and it's paired with 12GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM (soon to double), and Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, runs as fast as greased lightening, and no matter what I do, can't seem to get the CPU to break the 15% mark (most of the time it's running at less than 5%), and the RAM, maybe 20% if a lot of browser windows are open. 

If it weren't for Windows, the thermal paste wouldn't be broken in. 

If you're a student, most the time you can get windows for free if not uber cheap. 

I'll agree with you on that one, all that's needed is a valid student email address, and through DreamSpark, students has access to all sorts of MS software for $99 per year, and some schools pays this, depending on courses and/or ability to pay. Yes, even at $99 yearly, that's dirt cheap. Especially if one has multiple computers, where the cost per OS & MS Office install becomes less. 

Some gaming is becoming available to Ubuntu users, there's Steam for Linux that's growing, but titles are restricted, however this isn't the fault of Ubuntu or any Linux OS. It's the fault of hardware vendors who doesn't provide adequate driver support for the hardware we pay for. They see Ubuntu users as freeloaders. The only thing they're seeing is that we don't have Windows, the hardware costs much more to obtain, a decent GPU alone costs more than 2 copies of Windows, and that's just a good mid-level card. 

High performance gaming would be available to all, if the GPU OEM's supported those who lays down their cash for the hardware, and not because of what OS is being ran. With as many six figure engineers that the major OEM's employs, seem like a few of them could write drivers to suite the need for any OS. 

As I wrote in an earlier posting, AMD ought to be the ones to grab Linux, while they still have some clout, create deals with major retailers & give Linux the exposure it deserves, while at the same time boosting their profits, maybe even climb out of the hole they're in. Nothing else seems to be working at the moment, their last advantage over Intel was late in the last decade, when they emerged with microprocessors that could do a lot of work & yet run with less energy. Somehow, they broke away from what was working & again tried to take on Intel head to head, and have lost. Their GPU business is the last of their glory, and now NVIDIA has came gunning at that, producing feature rich GPU's for just a little more than the $100 AMD offerings, that a few months back would have been $200. 

So this is why we're at a disadvantage in gaming, they want our money, and give shabby support in return. What's there to expect? 

However the rest of Linux runs great on top end hardware. In fact, out of the top 20 supercomputers, over half runs Linux, and none runs Windows. I'd call a supercomputer as top end as it gets. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,268 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 04:40 AM

They see Ubuntu users as freeloaders.

Freeloaders?

I wish somebody had told me that before I forked out hundreds of bux on a i5 16 gib ram and SSD. I could have gotten them free? No? Well that makes me a paying customer and I expect driver support regardless of Operating system.

The truth of the matter is that these company's are so far in bed with Microsoft it is getting hard to distinguish one from the other, And when M$ head office says jump these company's obey. UFEI was a way of stopping other Operating Systems, And Linux was made to pay for the right, Well that makes Linux a paying customer also.

Arch Linux .

#13 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:45 AM

Also, from my experience with the most common steam games: Team Fortress 2, Dota 2, Europa Universalis IV, Killing Floor, etc.... the certain features like anti-aliasing are sometimes not present, there are other small little gritty features that make it more aesthetically pleasing that aren't available in linux. However, this all depends on the company thats pushing out the game. I've played a couple games, one being Metro: Last Light, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, whether it was being run in linux or windows.

However, for your basic type generic games you can buy on a cd in the stores that don't use steam and aren't labeled for linux. They will ~Maybe~ run if you use the wine or play on linux, but from my experience, it would be well worth shelling out some cash for windows if you're looking to give it to someone that has no interesting in exploring and experimenting with something like linux. Anything emulated is never the same.

If your daughter does like to explore and experiment with computers for the heck of it, Its always worth giving it a shot and if she doesn't like it, just get windows. Linux is like a build your own shoe kit, everything is there, but, you have to stitch it together to make it fit yourself.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#14 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

Sure the latest and greatest games might not have a Linux version but valve games like left4dead, portal 2, cs:cs, cs:go and hundreds of other games like kerbal space program, minecraft, have Linux versions. Even now more companies are putting out more Linux versions The Witcher 3 for example will have Linux support.

As far as why Linux does not boot. Why the hell are you trying to use 10.10? Its a very old unsupported version. Use the latest 14.10 and your issues shall disappear.

#15 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:16 AM

If you do want Ubuntu.... Please download here from their official site

I highly recommend the 14.04 LTS

You can use the super easy to use universal usb installer  to install the .iso to a usb. You will need generally a 1-2gb flash drive

1. Plug in your flash drive

2. Run the program

3. Select your disto from the drop down box

4. Click "browse" and it'll probably find the iso in your downloads folder, if not there, whever you chose to save the iso

5. Select your flash drive

6. Select format drive

7. Ignore the persistent cache

8. Click create

9. Let it install and finish

( SPECIAL NOTE: At this point if you have any personal folders in your computer, place them on the root the flash drive ( the area you see when you first double click on the icon in the my computer area) before continuing to step 10 or else you'll lose your personal data. I'd recommend just creating a "My Folders" folder )

10. Leave Plugged into your computer, reboot,  and open the boot options menu when the computer first starts up(usually F11, F12, Esc, all depending on your computers model)

11. Select your flash drive from the boot options

12. It will run the distro automatically and give you the option to try, install, or just install

Also to note!!! Linux does NOT run  .exe  or .msi programs like you're use to on windows.  If you're using ubuntu, you'll need a .deb package program.

Major software vendors like google chrome and skype offer .deb installations. You will need to enter a password every time you want to install anything, tedius? Maybe... but helps to keep your computer from having unwanted downloads.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 20 November 2014 - 11:54 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users