Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Found a virus/malware... but what is it?


  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 BobintheBox

BobintheBox

  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:50 PM

System was running slow... checked process explorer and found a process with a random name running multiple times with regsvr32.exe used to launch it and somehow related to Google Chrome. Killed it. Removed the entries in HKCU... Run that launched it. Traced it to a directory where I found random directory names with a random *.js program name and manifest.json program name in each. Renamed and moved the directory so that it wouldn't be where it was expected if other software was looking for it in the future. FYI - I had no symptoms aside from the slowness except that at one point my system started playing music from an unknown source and when I checked the volume/mixer, there were a half dozen "unknown application" volume sliders.

 

I ran a system restore to back a few days before I saw symptoms. Everything seems normal now. The restored system has none of the errant Run keys, etc. 

 

But, I'd like to know what it was, and what it was doing so I can figure out what info it might have stolen, etc.  I can't find any reference to it via Google as the folder and program names were random. Here's the first half of the Javascript file that it was running. My WAG is that it was creating zero sized windows and calling URL's, but it's just a guess.

 

Also... advise on what to do next just to be sure I am clean?

 

------------------ pasted manifest.json -- highlighted coenngjfz.js file is the random name that was running --

 

{"manifest_version":2,"name":"example","description":"example","version":"1.0.0","content_scripts":[{"matches":["<all_urls>"],"js":["coenngjfz.js"],"run_at":"document_start","all_frames": false}]}

 

 

--------------------- pasted coenngjfz.js  file, only first half to avoid this being used ---------------

 

(function () {
    var f = function () {
        var g = /^https?:\/\/(.*?)\/.*$/;
        var np = /\.jpg$|\.png$|\.gif$/;
        var L = function (k) {
            var D = ["aero","asia","biz","com","coop","info","int","jobs","mobi","museum","name","net","org","post","pro","tel","travel","xxx"];
            if (D.indexOf(k) == -1) {
                return false;
            }
            return true;
        }
        var y = function (o, e) {
            if (e == o) {
                return true;
            }
            try {
                o = o.split("\.");
                e = e.split("\.");
                var ci = o.length - 1;
                var hi = e.length - 1;
                for (;;) {
                    if (e[hi] != o[ci]) {
                        return false;
                    }
                    if ((hi == 0) || (ci == 0)) {
                        return true;
                    }
                    if ((e[hi].length >= 3) && !L(e[hi])) {
                        return true;
                    }
                    hi--;
                    ci--;
                }
            } catch (e) { return false; }
            return false;
        };
        var t = function (e, c) {
            if (typeof e.href == "undefined") {
                return false;
            }
            if (typeof e.href.length == "undefined") {
                return false;
            }
            if (e.href.length < 7) {
                return false;
            }
            if (e.href == document.URL) {
                return false;
            }
            if (e.href.indexOf("#") != -1) {
                return false;
            }
            if (np.test(e.href)) {
                return false;
            }
            var q = g.exec(e.href);
            if (q == null) {
                return false;
            }
            if (q.length < 2) {
                return false;
            }
            if (y(c, q[1]) == false) {
                return false;
            }
            return true;
        };
        var crcs = function (onscr, offscr) {
            var c = 0;
            var arr = onscr;
            var result = "";
            while (c < 20) {
                if (arr.length == 0) {
                    if (offscr == null) {
                        return result;
                    }
                    result += "|offscr"
                    arr = offscr;
                    offscr = null;
                    continue;
                }
                var idx = Math.floor(Math.random() * arr.length);
                var rc = arr[idx];
                arr.splice(idx, 1);
                if ((rc.l == 0) && (rc.t == 0) && (rc.w == 0) && (rc.h == 0)) continue;
                result += "|" + rc.l + "," + rc.t + "," + rc.w + "," + rc.h;
                c++;
            }
            return result;
        };



BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users