Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD and HDD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 stratnetwork

stratnetwork

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

Good day computer geeks! My brother told me that he's planning to "upgrade" our current drive (HDD) to SSD before I give my go signal I just wanted to know first the advantages/disadvantages between SSD and HDD. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:21 AM

Hi stratnetwork,

Welcome to BC! :welcome:

We're a nice bunch, and if you do decide to move over to SSD there's loads of great people here who can help you with the migration and any technical difficulties you may have.

That said, let me Google your question for you

TsVk!

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:18 AM

For speed,  Eg Launching programs or fast boots. SSD.

For storage HDD

How big is the SSD? What Operating system are you using? For Windows a 256 GB SSD is the minimum IMHO 128 is just too small.

As a result of its benchmarks, Anandtech recommends that you “plan on using only about 75% of its capacity if you want a good balance between performance consistency and capacity.” In other words, set aside 25% of your drive and don’t write to it. Only use up to 75% of your drive’s free space and you should maintain ideal performance. You’ll see write performance start to slow down as you go above that mark.

6 Things You Shouldn’t Do With Solid-State Drives

Edited by NickAu1, 19 November 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#4 stratnetwork

stratnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:44 PM

Hi stratnetwork,

Welcome to BC! :welcome:

We're a nice bunch, and if you do decide to move over to SSD there's loads of great people here who can help you with the migration and any technical difficulties you may have.

That said, let me Google your question for you

TsVk!

Hi TsVk, thanks for the warm welcome! I'm glad i joined this community, there are lots of things I want to cope up with the new trends.

I did searched Google before, however, I don't find the articles "user friendly" so I wanted to ask pro folks that could explain in a simple manner. :)

#5 stratnetwork

stratnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

For speed,  Eg Launching programs or fast boots. SSD.

For storage HDD

How big is the SSD? What Operating system are you using? For Windows a 256 GB SSD is the minimum IMHO 128 is just too small.

As a result of its benchmarks, Anandtech recommends that you “plan on using only about 75% of its capacity if you want a good balance between performance consistency and capacity.” In other words, set aside 25% of your drive and don’t write to it. Only use up to 75% of your drive’s free space and you should maintain ideal performance. You’ll see write performance start to slow down as you go above that mark.

6 Things You Shouldn’t Do With Solid-State Drives

Hi NickAu1, thanks for an easy explanation! Applying that, is it okay if we used 256GB SSD for booting and a separate 1-2TB HDD for files/games/etc. ?

#6 Autoexec.bat

Autoexec.bat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:09 PM

Good day computer geeks! My brother told me that he's planning to "upgrade" our current drive (HDD) to SSD before I give my go signal I just wanted to know first the advantages/disadvantages between SSD and HDD. s

sir i have a question. how to partition ssd if the unpartitioned space is two? for example i have 3 terabyte and i partition it in 1.5 tb per logical drive what can i do? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users