Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook and Live Mail wont work - IE Fubbared

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sippenhaft

sippenhaft

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Out of no where, my outlook (2003) suddenly would not show the message in the preview pane. I was getting the message "cant open this item. text formatting may not be available...."

I scoured the net and am finding the IE is broken and I should reinstall it. (I use Firefox)

With windows 7 though, I cant reinstall IE. It keeps telling me I have a newer version and stops the install process. WTF? I cant even uninstall it to reinstall it.

I tried the "turning it on and off" and such but to no avail.

So...I tried to just use WIndows LIVE MAIL...FAIL...Im getting a similar error where it wont show the content of the messages in the preview pane and wont let me open the emails. Similar search of the net and similar results.

NOTE when I try to run IE 11, it opens to a white screen...sits for a few seconds then crashes to desktop.

So.....How the hec can I reinstall IE in windows 7? I am hopeing that this will fix my issues.

(or what email programs do you recommend. Would prefer one that I can use on my home computer not on a server somewhere (like the new "outlook.com") :(

Thank you for any help or suggestions....

Steve

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2014 - 03:17 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

Is this how you tried to uninstall IE?

Control Panel/Programs and Features.

Click View Installed Updates on the left side of the page.

Let all the updates load, then scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section. Look through the list for Windows Internet Explorer 11. You can then uninstall.

After you uninstall IE will be rolled back to a different version, which should be the one you used before installing IE11.

#3 sippenhaft

sippenhaft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

EDITED:

OK I found it in the updates...tried to uninstall it but it gives error saying some of the update cant be uninstalled :smash:

Edited by sippenhaft, 19 November 2014 - 06:41 PM.

#4 sippenhaft

sippenhaft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

tried the following from command prompt...didnt work...IE 11 still there...it wont go away...and doing below DID NOT make it revert back to IE 10...

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart

#5 sippenhaft

sippenhaft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:19 PM

Sfc /scannow - results said there where some corrupt files it could not fix...in CBS.LOG file. Should I post that file it created?

#6 sippenhaft

sippenhaft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

hrmmmm...after a restart and running "Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x64.msu" for hours it seemed like...everything started working again?!!? Just had to re-add all my settings and such in outlook.

And explorer 11 is working now....

...Im a computer genius LOL...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users