Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Change My Operating System From Windows XP To Linux

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 C_C_

C_C_

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

Hello

Have  questions in regard the changing  my operating system from Windows Xp to Linux.   This  was suggested by a follow subscriber from Bleeping Computers and sounds interesting.  This is my situation.  After I  cleaned installed Windows Xp  a couple of days ago I got a virus going online to download antivirus.  The driver program I was using is Driver Pack Solution 14 Beta .  I can't run a Kaspersky virus scan to remove the virus because driver Pack Solution is conflicting with it. 

I don't know anything about Linux but would like to download it free and not sure where to get it or how to choose the best  version of Linux that can suit my computer.  My Computer is 12 years old and not sure if it can take on a Linux operating system mainly because I never tired it.  But other than the virus thing it runs good.  I can download a program called Speccy and it will give me a profile of the entire computer the way it stands now.   Assistance can be appreciated  here.  Speccy can be quite elaborate.   Please in short  what should I look for.   

In regards other question.  Can some direct me to a place where I can download Linux free and provide me with a tutorial to update the Xp partition to Linux. 

I will be using a flash drive to copy the Linux operating system on to and  I would like to know how much space I would need on the flash drive.  Using a flash drive because I don't have the proper software installed in the optical drive.   Can I also use the same computer to copy  Linux operating  system on to as the Xp computer  that has the  virus.   If I do use the same  computer will I get another virus on the upgrade Linux computer system.   Lastly  if I change to Linux will all of the drivers copy on to the new Linux program by themselves. 

If someone  can please further clarify any of  these points and also provide any tutorials  how I  can change from xp to Linux.  Once gain I have never used Linux before.   Thank you most considerately  C.C.. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:08 PM

Can your PC take Linux? The short answer is YES.

Do you wish to keep Windows?

Please in short  what should I look for.

How much ram, Processor type, Video card if any.

For PC specs.

Click Start and Run.
Type msinfo32 into the run box and press enter.
rw10rl.jpg

Microsoft Windows 2000 and XP users can also enter the System Information window by typing winmsd and pressing enter.

Microsoft System Information

msinfo32.jpg

I will be using a flash drive to copy the Linux operating system on to and  I would like to know how much space I would need on the flash drive

Depending on the size of the ISO 4 GiB will be way more than enough.

Can I also use the same computer to copy  Linux operating  system on to as the Xp computer  that has the  virus.

Yes. Windows malware cant run in Linux, And you are dealing with an ISO so it dont matter.

Lastly  if I change to Linux will all of the drivers copy on to the new Linux program by themselves

Linux uses its own drivers, NO Windows software will run on Linux under normal circumstances. In most cases you will not need to install any drivers in Linux.

As a start this is a nice lightweight linux and should run fine on your pc.

Download lubuntu (Intel x86) desktop CD

http://youtu.be/SQ970AlX4Ek

To make a bootable USB use

UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads

http://youtu.be/a_UZ4v2MQic

:welcome:  To BC

Edited by NickAu1, 18 November 2014 - 10:39 PM.

#3 C_C_

C_C_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:02 PM

When I try to bootable USB.   Magic Iso is creating  the  disc image.  Can't get it to install.  Can I  save it on flashdrive?  

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:17 PM

Magic Iso is creating  the  disc image.

No idea don't use it.

Can I  save it on flashdrive?

Yes. And if you watch the short video I posted on UNetbootin it will show you how.

#5 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

You can also try using the super easy to use universal usb installer     and generally a 1-2gb flash drive

1. Plug in your flash drive

2. Run the universal usb installer

3. Select your disto from the drop down box

4. Click "browse" and it'll probably find the iso in your downloads folder, if not there, whever you chose to save the downloaded image

5. Select your flash drive from the drop down box

6. Check the format drive box

7. Ignore the persistent cache option

8. Click create

9. Let it install and finish

( SPECIAL NOTE: At this point if you have any personal folders in your computer, place them on the root the flash drive ( the area you see when you first double click on the icon in the my computer area) before continuing to step 10 or else you'll lose your personal data. I'd recommend just creating a "My Folders" folder )

10. Leave Plugged into your computer, reboot,  and open the boot options menu when the computer first starts up(usually F11, F12, Esc, all depending on your computers model)

11. Select your flash drive from the boot options

12. It will run the distro automatically and give you the option to try, install, or just install

I also suggest the lubuntu distro. I installed it on a bunch of pentium 4 computers at my old tech school about 2 years ago. These computers were all 8-10 years old I believe, and lubuntu helped the system feel like new again, you just might need to install an addon to help other things run smoothly. Also to note!!! Linux does NOT run  .exe  or .msi programs like you're use to on windows.  If you're using lubuntu, you'll need a .deb package program.

Major software vendors like google chrome and skype offer .deb installations. You will need to enter a password every time you want to install anything, tedius? Maybe... but helps to keep your computer from having unwanted downloads.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 20 November 2014 - 01:29 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 10:46 AM

When I try to bootable USB.   Magic Iso is creating  the  disc image.  Can't get it to install.  Can I  save it on flashdrive?  

The first sentence does not make sense to me?

You don't need to use Magic Iso at all, I thought you were using UNetbootin?  I see now, that video was creating an ISO from a disk FIRST, you don't need to do that. 

Last question/sentence: You don't want to save to the flashdrive you will be using-if that is what you are asking? save the ISO to the desktop or wherever is easiest for you to find.

If you downloaded ISO to the USB just Move or Copy it to your desktop.  If you did anything to the USB reformat like the video's show to prepare the USB for OS installation, that will wipe it clean.

Don't give up, your computer should work real well with Linux.

Just go to youtube and search UNetbootin and you can find one that you can understand.  The one Nick posted was creating an ISO from a disk, THEN using UNetbootin-I guess I did not finish watching.  You might have to watch a few until you get one that suits you.  After you follow the video go to number 10. in wishmakingfairys list and continue.  You might try this one out, it is Puppy Linux but it is the same thing:   

Edited by pcpunk, 20 November 2014 - 11:06 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 C_C_

C_C_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

ok

Sorry when I said  I couldn't get Magic ISO to install and save on flashdrive I meant I couldn't get it to install on the computer In question which I am upgrading.  I wanted to install on one computer and then put it on the computer to be upgraded. 

I was provided with a tutorial by Wishmakingfairy to install universal Usb installer. I am using a flashdrive and not sure if it needs to be prepared before installing Lubuntu.  Question.  Do I need to use the Universal USB installer as recommended.    I have a flashdrive formatted fat32 as stated in the tutorial.  

Lastly the tutorial I  was given to install the operating system Lubuntu uses CD or DVD. unfortunately  my optical  drives are not set up just yet and would like to now if I can uses my flashdrive to complete the install by that tutorial.   If  I can not use a flashdrive with it  by chance can all provide me with another tutorial.  I have not given up.   Thank you C.C. 

#8 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:25 PM

When you first press your computers power button, you'll see the manufacturers logo pop up and usually on the bottom for a few seconds youll see options, usually one saying (F11) (ESC) (F12) (DEL) etc... for boot menu.

You'll next be greeted with options to select something along the lines of:

1. HDD
2. FDD

3. CD/DVD

4. USB (Sometimes you will see the name of manufacturer, for example: Sandisk)

Use your arrow keys to move to your selection and hit enter to select.

Select the usb option and it will begin to boot from the usb, soon you'll see a menu pop up for your linux distribution, it usually has options like

1. Try Ubuntu on Live CD

2. Install Ubuntu

Select the second option using the arrow keys on your keyboard and press enter to select

As for installing the .iso image to the flash drive, I can't really say much more than the tutorial i provided. It installs the cd image (iso) to the flash drive without you having to do anything but follow the first set of inital steps then clicking create.

And.... whatever you use magic iso for, if its getting in the way of running the universal usb installer, just uninstall it.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 20 November 2014 - 01:33 PM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:37 PM

I'm not sure why you keep asking about MagicISO except that it was on that video that Nick showed you, forget that software.

1. Either download the ISO, OR, just use one of the installers and choose it from the options.  The thing is, the installer might not have Lubuntu or the distro you want I don't know:  Here is a site for Lubuntu that you can dowload the ISO.  Make sure you download the one for your system 32bit or 64bit AND download to pc destop, not to usb.  Scroll down to where it says standard pc or mac, and 32 or 64bit: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

2. Download the Installer either one.

You can do this while on this site so you can look at the instructions while trying to install.  You could even print out her instructions to make it easier.  

The videos really tell it all from there.  Try to be clear when you are asking questions.

Just follow that video that I posted, OR wishmakingfairy's very clear instructions. You can use "UNetbootin" or the "Universal USB Installer" it doesn't matter, choose one.  You might want to go with the very clear instructions of wishmakingfairy's and the Universal USB Installer.  

Did you download on of these programs yet? and the ISO these are the two things you will need to start.  Like the other post said if MajicISO is getting in the way uninstall it.  I don't have a lot of experience with this but it is quite easy and I have used UNetbootin many times.

Edited by pcpunk, 20 November 2014 - 02:05 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 01:59 PM

CC's quote: " Lastly the tutorial I  was given to install the operating system Lubuntu uses CD or DVD. unfortunately  my optical  drives are not set up just yet and would like to now if I can uses my flashdrive to complete the install by that tutorial."

I don't know what tutorial you are talking about, just use what we are providing you.  Yes you can use the flashdrive to install, you are just repeating your questions, we know you optical drive is not working, you don't need it. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

You did not follow Nicks directions from before this post, Nick would need to know your system specs to properly help you.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'm not sure why you keep asking about MagicISO except that it was on that video that Nick showed you,

Was it? Look again, I have NEVER used magic ISO so why would I recommend it?

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 01:28 AM

C_C_,  :welcome: to BC Forums! 

I can't run a Kaspersky virus scan to remove the virus because driver Pack Solution is conflicting with it. 

That's because Driver Pack Solution is loaded with malware & who knows what. These varies in size of a small .exe file to install to a over 8GB ISO that requires a DVD-DL to run. No wonder Kaspersky won't run. 

Time to get away from the land of infection (XP) to a Linux OS, such as what Nick suggested, to say goodbye to infections for good (hopefully!). 

Looks like you've been given good instruction to this point, to add that you need to be connected to the Internet during install, with accessories such as printers plugged in & turned on. Drivers are installed as part of the Linux install process, which is why few has to be added afterwards, one exception may be graphics, normally the default is the best choice with fewer issues. It is important after install & reboot to enable the Firewall for best protection. To do so, simply open the Start Menu, click on to the Terminal & let it open (it'll look like the "cmd" box on Windows. At that point type in (or copy/paste):

sudo ufw enable

Your password will be asked for, type it and you won't see movement during entering it & press Enter. This is normal & for security. Afterwards, it'll show that the ufw Firewall is active and enabled at startup. That is the most important part of getting your security setup on Linux. 

Good Luck with the install! And questions, feel free to ask, it's what we're here for.  :)

wishmakingfairy, being this is the first time I've interacted with you, please allow me to extend a  :welcome: to the Forum also. Glad to have you on board & in the Linux section.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,121 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

I'm not sure why you keep asking about MagicISO except that it was on that video that Nick showed you,

Was it? Look again, I have NEVER used magic ISO so why would I recommend it?

Second video, post #2 in the first couple of seconds.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:54 AM

It was rather surprising that the writer of a Linux tutorial would recommend a paid utility to create the install media with. 

Magic ISO costs $29.95 & payment is through Digital River (don't deal with these crooks to pay for anything). Trying to charge $30 for 2010 version software is at a minimum, unethical. 

CaptureMagicISO.png

Link Nick, pcpunk & wishmakingfairy has suggested, create a bootable Flash drive & forget the optical media (unless you're well stocked on blank DVD's & have no Flash drive to spare. Universal USB Installer is my favorite & the easiest solution, I've used it countless times, every step of the way is explained w/out any videos. 

Running USB Installer is easy peasy. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users