Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hp software updater

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dewitt dennison

dewitt dennison

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

thx guys, I have a new hp copier and now have hp software updater running on my system. do I need it? can I delete it? if not, can I disable it and create a shortcut to use it as I see fit and when I want to check up for possible updates? if so can you help by explaining the process for making a shortcut for this purpose. obvious I'm new to this and would appreciate any help you can give  thx  dewitt

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2014 - 03:37 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

HP Software Updater

If I had an HP system...I would consider this unnecessary bloatware and a waste of system resources.  ;Software which monitors the system for security purposes (e.g., AV and other software designed to defeat malware) is one thing...this tool appears to be another.

Louis

#3 marktime

marktime

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

Hi Dewitt

Louis is correct but if you still wish to go ahead and use the program at you will then follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows key and R, type MSCONFIG and press enter
  2. Go to the Start-up tab
  3. Find the HP Software Updater and untick the box to stop it from starting automatically
  4. Whilst there, you should see the file path for the program. Find it and make a shortcut to you desktop or taskbar so you can use it as you want.

If you just want to use it ad-hoc then you don't need to worry about it being a drain on system resources too much, just be sure to close it from the system tray or task manager once you're done with it.

Mark

Edited by marktime, 19 November 2014 - 03:56 PM.

#4 dewitt dennison

dewitt dennison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

thx for the help. on further investigation, I discovered it wasn't even set to update for my windows 7, which I did set it for and got an update from it. I think i'll just turn it off and use it every so often.   thx DeWitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users