Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 won't allow Word to close?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 larry31

larry31

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:51 PM

I just re-installed Windows 7 Prof and my old copy of Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business from it's disk..

When I open Word and work on a document, then go to close Word using the X in top right, I get this message....

Capture_zps640996b7.jpg

I can exit Word by closing this box. If I close Word from [File] [Exit]  I get the same pop-up window.

( The Excel program closes normally, it's just Word that has this close problem.)

In addition, the "Recently used file list" does not save recently opened files.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Office several times, but this happens every new install. Could there be a setting in Windows 7 prof. that effects this?

I had this same Windows 7 and Office installed prior to this reinstall, and Word worked ok then.

Edited by hamluis, 19 November 2014 - 03:13 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:12 PM

Try the following.

First, create a restore point. If you do not have a Windows 7 install disk create a System Repair Disk and make sure it boots.

Open Regedit. Type Regedit in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator and navigate to this key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Data

Highlight the Data subkey by left clicking. Right click. Select Export. Export the key to the desktop giving it a name like Word. It should save a file called Word.reg to the desktop. Once the reg file is saved. Highlight the Data subkey by left clicking and only the Data key. Right click and select Delete. Exit out of regedit. I would also logout of your account. Then log back in.

Start Word and then exit out to see if the problem is solved. If not, you can double click the reg file or right click and select merge to import the Data subkey back into the registry.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 November 2014 - 04:12 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

Larry, you also posted the same thing in Business Applications.
That topic has been deleted because it had no replies.

Please do not start multiple topics about the same issue. Doing so can cause confusion for you, those trying to help you and can hinder the help process.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:48 PM

Seems to be questions of that version of Office...and compatibility with Win 7.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/is-microsoft-office-2000-small-business-edition/78c7cb5d-2a94-45a6-92df-1b09dfcd1284

More Google Links On Same

Louis

#5 larry31

larry31
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:03 PM

Try the following.

First, create a restore point. If you do not have a Windows 7 install disk create a System Repair Disk and make sure it boots.

Open Regedit. Type Regedit in the search box. Right click > Run as Administrator and navigate to this key.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Data

Highlight the Data subkey by left clicking. Right click. Select Export. Export the key to the desktop giving it a name like Word. It should save a file called Word.reg to the desktop. Once the reg file is saved. Highlight the Data subkey by left clicking and only the Data key. Right click and select Delete. Exit out of regedit. I would also logout of your account. Then log back in.

Start Word and then exit out to see if the problem is solved. If not, you can double click the reg file or right click and select merge to import the Data subkey back into the registry.

Thanks !

I found this solution on another forum from a couple of years ago. I did make a Export, and then deleted that key in my registry. It's working great now. Thanks for posting it.

BTW: The other post mentioned something about using Word while a Windows update was running. Thinking back that may have been my problem. When Windows updates run, they take quite a bit of time, and don't always show they are running. It could have been what made my Word go "nuts" !

It did work ok when I first installed it, but I have been reinstalling a lot of my programs in a short amount of time.

Thanks again !

Edited by larry31, 18 November 2014 - 09:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users