Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost icons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robertk

Robertk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hi,whenever a restart our server 2008 (updates) box the icons on some workstations will dissappear....

they will reappear after restarting workstations but they are all at the left of screen...........being an amateur i hope someone can help me

...................................Thanks in advance.........Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Are your users desktop folders redirected to a subfolder of the users home folders on the server? This is quite commonly done these days (along with redirection some other users folders such as documents and favourites etc) instead of using roaming profiles.

After the server reboot, do the icons reappear if you just click on a workstation desktop and hit F5?

The settings are commonly applied by using folder redirection group policy objects. I'm not suggesting that you alter those, but you may be able to verify if/which profile folders are being redirected and get a feel for why the behaviour that you are seeing is happening.

x64

#3 Robertk

Robertk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for your reply.............i'm actually reapplying folder redirection after having trouble with it in the past.i am only moving some workstations over to folder redir one or two at a time.

those are the ones that have the missing icons.......i did not check but last time i was looking at this problem the icons will come back after click desktop and hit F5.....

being the amateur that i am i noticed that folder redirection was listed among some default GP.the default folder redir GP is what i chose...is there something in that policy i need to check or change

these are all win 7 pro workstations..............Thanks Robert

#4 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:09 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by default GP.

I suppose the trick would be to consider the various folders that can be redirected and then only redirect those for which you see value in your particular environment. It could be that you choose not to redirect desktop folders in the future. However there is more likely value in leaving desktop redirected. Whilst they are redirected, if connectivity to the server is lost (server reboot, IP phone with built in network switch glitches - whatever... -the desktop will glitch in the way that you describe.

Personally, I'd live with it (and if the users complain, boom "WHAT!!??? YOU DIDN'T LOG OUT WHEN I TOLD YOU I WAS GOING TO DO THE SERVER UPDATES!!!"  :)  :)  :rolleyes:  )

When using redirected folders on portable computers, it works best if you enforce off-line folder caching - but I'd not do that for desktops - too many issues with systems staying off-line and users complaining about files missing etc..)

x64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users