Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Difference between probe, toner, and wire tracer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

hey guys,

i have done some rennovations and need to re-trace all my wires and verify that they have not been broken.

Im kind of at a loss for which tool i need here and was wondering, just for future reference if someone can tell me what the difference is between:

Cable Probe

Cable Toner

and Wire Tracer.

Cable mapper?

Im using this to trace Cat 6 POE ethernet jacks.

Which tool would you use to "verify" cables? as well as other things you can do with them

Any tool that can do continuity, low voltage, wire tracing etc. (All?) features?

Edited by drwmbt, 18 November 2014 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

You would use a cat6 cable tester if you want to certify all aspect of the cable like cross talk, etc. 

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cat6+cable+tester

Toner and probe give you distance faults and continuity.

http://www.flukenetworks.com/datacom-cabling/copper-testing/IntelliTone-Pro-Toner-and-Probe

#3 drwmbt

drwmbt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:42 AM

Thank you i ended up doing some quick video searches and saw some folks on the internet demo'ing their companies products that basically elucidated the whole ordeal for me.

Suffice to say that depending on how much you want to spend, some devices will do 1, 2 or all of the above features, and some will do some things but not others due to the limitations of the scope of the hardware built.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users