Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iSpeedPC Virus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NH-ITGUY

NH-ITGUY

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:58 PM

Hi All,

I am an IT Support Technician in a company. One of my customers reported that she got iSpeedPC virus on her Windows 7 laptop running
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS.  I just prepared this laptop for and it was clean until she tried to download Skype from somewhere and got infected. She is in CA and I am in MA.

I searched the forums for iSpeedPC and only found one article
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549952/go-save-malware/?hl=%2Bispeedpc
kirontanvir11  goes on to say he has GoSave adware and used Farbar. The Farbar log said it was going to delete several files which included:
2014-09-27 12:40 - 2014-09-27 12:50 - 00003894 _____ () C:\windows\System32\Tasks\ISpeedPC_Daily
2014-09-27 12:40 - 2014-09-27 12:40 - 00000937 _____ () C:\Users\Public\Desktop\iSpeedPC.lnk

This is a completely different process from what mitechmate.com talks about below.

I also found a removal process for iSpeedPC posted from
(moderator edit: deleted link to outside guide. Explanation in my post below. Queen-Evie).   I was wondering if anyone knows anything about this site and it's legitimate. 

Any comments would be appreciated.
NH-ITGUY

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 November 2014 - 03:46 PM.
moved from Malware Removal logs to Am I Infected due to required logs for MRL not included

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:04 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I realize you are asking about the validity of a removal guide and you are not posting it for someone else to follow.
Such guides exist all over the internet. People follow those guides in an effort to get rid of malware.

I cannot comment on the guide because I am not a malware removal expert. Since you posted about your issue here all I can do is give you the official Bleeping Computer policy concerning those guides.

Posting referral links to non-Bleeping Computer malware removal guides is NOT permitted with the exception of well known security vendors like Kaspersky, Symantec, etc which sometimes release specialized fix tools with instructional documentation. This is because there are far too many untrustworthy and scam sites which mis-classify detections or provide misleading information and poor removal advice. It is impractical for our staff to monitor and review all such guides for accuracy, therefore, we will not permit members helping others to refer to any of them.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250928/instructions-for-posting-advice-in-am-i-infected-forum/

This can be extended to questions such as the one you asked. We prefer that you follow the advice of those who are malware removal experts here. They will recommend specific tools that Bleeping Computer has approved for use in the malware removal forums. This assures that you will get expert help by someone who can interpret any logs you post so they can guide you through the clean up process. If advanced tools that are not allowed in Am I Infected are needed, your helper will refer to the Prep Guide for posting in Malware Removal Logs.

Of course, the choice is yours-follow a guide you find elsewhere OR wait for someone to help you here.

edit to add: link to outside removal guide deleted. WOT warns that the site linked to has a poor reputation based on user ratings. mitechmate has a poor rating for trustworthiness.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 November 2014 - 03:50 PM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hello -

You can uninstall iSpeedPC from your computer by using the Add/Remove Program feature in the Window's Control Panel.

• On the Start menu (for Windows 8, right-click the screen's bottom-left corner), click Control Panel, and then, under Programs, do one of the following:
  • Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall a Program.
  • Windows XP: Click Add or Remove Programs.
  • When you find the program iSpeedPC, click it, and then do one of the following:
  • Windows Vista/7/8: Click Uninstall.
  • Windows XP: Click the Remove or Change/Remove tab (to the right of the program).
  • Follow the prompts. A progress bar shows you how long it will take to remove iSpeedPC.

If for some reason uninstallation fails, please install Microsoft's uninstall fixer utility which will help fix problems with programs that can't be uninstalled at support.microsoft.com.

iSpeedPC has been found to be bundled with many 3rd party software programs. If you have not purposefully installed this, you should be very safe uninstalling it.

It is basically a typical Scam Program, and serves little or no purpose ...........

These are the first general steps used to remove it

To check, now run these free programs -

Please download RKill by Grinler.to your desktop, and run it.
 A black DOS box will appear for a short time and then disappear.
 This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
 At most the tool will usually run for about 2 minutes
 Please Copy / Paste the small log back here.

Important: Do not reboot your computer until you complete the next step.

* NOW :
 Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

NOTE - Close all other programs, as your computer will be rebooted at the end of Cleaning.
 * Double-click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
 * Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
 * Click on the Scan button only once to ensure a correct reading
 * AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.(watch the bar go across the top)
 * After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
* Check the removals and see if you are OK with the list.

* Now
 * Click on the Clean button only once to ensure a correct reading
 * Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
 * Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
 * After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
 * Copy and Paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.

* A copy of all logfiles are also saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.

Please post 2 logs (RKill + AdwCleaner) and if the problem is better now -

Thank you -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users