Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why does IE do this,history seems to be history of all files on pc

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

I have a question about how internet explorer is linked with the operating system on windows 8 computers. let me explain.

I never use internet explorer, it's a security risk, it's slow but i recently opened it while disconnected just to remind myself what the interface looked like. Whilst in it i looked at my history, it contained a list of all the files on my own hardrive which i have opened recently, but none of these were files that had been opend with IE.
The history showed:
jpeg files (i open them with microsoft office picture manager),
png files (alos with ms picture manager),
pdf files (i open them with chrome),
gif files (i use chrome for them),
skp files (these are 3d model files, internet explorer wouldn't have clue what they were, they open with sketchup),
blend files (3d files, should be of no interest to IE, it can't read them, i use blender to open them).

All these things were in the history, i recognised the names as the names of various files on my hardrive, but i know that most of the files listed have never been opened with internet explorer, and i haven't even opened internet explorer for months. So i want to understand why these are contained in it's history, it didn't open them, why would it remember them? Does internet explorer share it's history with "recent files" or something?

I also realise that this is related to why, even though i nevr use IE, when i run CCleaner many of the files it lists to clean up are internet explorer temp files, if i don't open it(internet explorer) why does it make temp files? I assume the reason is the same reason as it lists it's history as being files it couldn't possible have been used to open, and which i know it never did. Is this part of how deeply IE is integrated into windows systems? It had listed files in it's history that i had indeed opened recently but hadn't (and in some cases couldn't possibly have due to file formats) opened with internet explorer.

Edited by rp88, 18 November 2014 - 05:06 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:48 PM

Has anyone got an idea of what this is, i would like to understand. thanks

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,059 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

Thoughts? i've noticed this on other computers too, with a variety of different windows operating systems so it must be something common to all windows operating systems, but what is it for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users