Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron 15 model 3521 touch screen

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 kkoz83

kkoz83

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:33 PM

Hi, how are you?

I'm working on a Dell Inspiron 15 model 3521 running Windows 8.1 (updated from factory Windows 8)..  It does have a touch screen which stopped working about 3 months ago.

Following Microsoft's website instructions, I found the "HID complaint touch screen" driver in Device Manager.  I uninstalled it, then scanned for hardware changes.  Nothing re-installed :(  I did a Windows refresh but the HID touch screen driver is still not appearing.

How do I get it back?  Should I reset Windows?  Can I get that specific driver from another touch screen laptop?  The laptop also does not have Pen & Touch enabled.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 splico

splico

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 05 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

Enter in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features then find on the left Turn on Windows features on or off. In the list Tablet PC components is installed? 

Edited by splico1985, 05 December 2014 - 06:45 PM.

"Helpdesk: There is an icon on your computer labeled "My Computer". Double click on it.
User: What's your computer doing on mine?"

#3 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2014 - 12:14 PM

Good idea, I'll check hopefully this week.

#4 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

Enter in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features then find on the left Turn on Windows features on or off. In the list Tablet PC components is installed? 

No, there is nothing about "Tablet" in that section.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,610 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:57 PM

In Control Panel do you have Tablet PC settings as shown here. See if you can configure the display and then calibrate. Set Control Panel to icons view and not Category.

#6 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

In Control Panel do you have Tablet PC settings as shown here. See if you can configure the display and then calibrate. Set Control Panel to icons view and not Category.

No :(

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,610 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

See if this works. I would create a restore point first. Download the enable touch reg key the double click it.

#8 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

Okay, I'll try the registry hack.

#9 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:34 PM

Okay, I'll try the registry hack.

I did it, restarted, but I still don't see any touch features (since I'm physically in front of it, I don't know if actual touch works).

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,610 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:45 PM

I am pretty much out of ideas on this, sorry. Hopefully other people on the forum can give some other thoughts on the problem.

#11 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

I am pretty much out of ideas on this, sorry. Hopefully other people on the forum can give some other thoughts on the problem.

No problem, thank you for the help.  I did reset the laptop to factory settings (before your answers) and still no luck.

I'll make sure not to recommend touchscreens ever again :)

#12 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

Here is a possible fix that I just saw in a September 22, 2014 posting on: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-tms/touch-screen-not-working-on-windows-8-dell/11c8806c-d48b-4d14-a011-9f2ebfa02dbb

"I had the same problem, easy fix ....go to Device Manager, double click on "Display adapters", right click on Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (or the adapter in use) and select Uninstall.

My computer must have applied updates and as a consequence, the screen stopped working. I have done this twice as updates keep changing it back and the new driver must have issues."

Hope this works for you.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#13 kkoz83

kkoz83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for everybody's help, but the owner of the Dell laptop is no longer interested in resolving this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users