Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

used combofix and now I cant download anything

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 meddings67

meddings67

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:31 AM

I had the ffsee virus and after using combo fix...my computer tells me that my files cannot be downloaded. I dont have access to facebook videos either. Please help!!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 November 2014 - 11:39 AM.
moved from Windows 8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:33 AM

Have you tried restarting your computer? I know its simple, but sometimes, that's all you need.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#3 meddings67

meddings67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:36 AM

Yes, mulitiple times. Every time I try to download a file or attachment, it tells me it cant be downloaded

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

Combofix should only be used under the supervision of a Virus Removal Expert or it can lead to issues as you now have. Can you do a System Restore to a time before using ComboFix? If the System Restore lets you download again start a thread in the Virus Removal Forum. Attach the appropriate logs as shown in the sticky posts at the beginning of the Forum.

#5 wishmakingfairy

wishmakingfairy

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:42 AM

Well, since you used combofix, Im going to have to have to give the solution to the users that handle most cases with it.

Once they do get your issue resolved, please consider downloading the windows 8.1 update from the microsoft store, If i remember correctly, it helps with updates and security patches, along with a couple different useability changes. Then with most people I install the update for, I always offer installing classic shell since most people still miss using the start menu. It'll blend right in the windows button, and its free.

Edited by wishmakingfairy, 18 November 2014 - 11:53 AM.

Using ubuntu and sharing how to as well as collecting how to scripts for common programs. Feel free to ask or share ^-^

#6 meddings67

meddings67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:28 PM

tries system restore and it will only restore to earlier today. What now?

#7 meddings67

meddings67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:29 PM

oooops  tried to restore and it would only restore to earlier today. What now?

#8 NullPointerException

NullPointerException

• Banned
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:35 PM

oooops  tried to restore and it would only restore to earlier today. What now?

Frankly, you should have read the warning. Now, we can only hope that the experts may help you to repair your PC. Otherwise, take it to a repair shop.

#9 meddings67

meddings67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:46 PM

repair shop it is!

#10 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:14 PM

Just wait for quietman or another bleeping expert to advise on what you should do. It might require a few hours (or longer) for a reply, but whoever responds will most likely be able to help you on this issue.

An additional option is to make a thread in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs" since you have already used Combofix; however, again, it would require some time (at least one or two days) before an expert replies to your thread.

Edited by Without_A_Monitor, 18 November 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#11 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hi meddings67,

Please follow the instructions in the Preparation Guide For Requesting Help starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs. (Note: Windows 8.1 Users will not be able run DDS and create a log)

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forumNOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team Experts.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs or you're using Windows 8.1, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

For others reading this topic...this is one of the reasons why we recommend not to use ComboFix on your own (see here). There are risks involved and we would prefer it if someone (a trained expert) who knows how to resolve any issues that may arise when running the tool, is supervising it's use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#13 meddings67

meddings67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:46 PM

That would have been fabulous to know. Unfortunately, the posting that I read which described how to find and download combofix had no such instruction. Bleepin Toffee monster has been kind enough to offer me some assistance. I am eternally grateful :)

#14 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 10:54 PM

That is indeed unfortunate. Do you remember from where you downloaded ComboFix?

Also, there should have been a window when you used ComboFix that stated the following message:

combofix-disclaimer.jpg

The sentence "it should not be used in an unsupervised environment" reiterates the seriousness of using ComboFix and how powerful of a program it is.

Edited by Without_A_Monitor, 18 November 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 05:22 AM

Unfortunately, the posting that I read which described how to find and download combofix had no such instruction.

The official site for downloading ComboFix is provided in the authorized Guide and tutorial on How to use ComboFix. The link in that guide redirects to ComboFix Download page hosted by BleepingComputer.

There are a number of unofficial sites which host various versions of ComboFix (many are outdated) and some may even charge a fee. ComboFix.org and ComboFixdownload.com offer unauthorized versions of Combofix and the download links are seldom current. Neither of these sites are affiliated with ComboFix by sUBs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users