Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot find USB hard disk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 woodville

woodville

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:01 AM

I have put a 2.5" 320gb hard drive into a usb enclosure but I am unable to find this after plugging it into my laptop.

It connected OK and the light came on but I haven't been able to get any further and send any photo's or information to this drive. 

Any assistance would be appreeciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:30 AM

Was this a brand new drive with no data? If so, you need to initialize the drive in Disk Management then partition and format it. To initialize the drive right click it in disk management and select Initialize. Then you can create a new volume on the drive and format it.

https://artesanodesignstudio.wordpress.com/tag/initializing-seagate-external-hard-drive/

#3 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:44 AM

Thank you for your quick reply - I shall try that and will let you know if it works.

#4 woodville

woodville
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:16 PM

Thank you so much JohnC - it is now working perfectly.  :thumbup2:

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:39 PM

Your Welcome, and thank you for posting an update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users