Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My D Drive Mysteriously Stopped Working...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sadadsada

sadadsada

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:27 PM

About a month ago my D drive stopped working. So, I called the tech support at dell, and he had me take of the lower filters to the registry modules. Long story short, the viral infections that followed were expelled from my system just today (thanks to the help of one of your own), but my D drive is back to it's non-functional state (It's a CD/DVD ROM). Before, when I inserted a disk, it would try to spin and stop after a couple seconds. When I checked the icon in My Computer, it didn't even know a disk was inside. I double-clicked the D drive icon and my computer promply froze. Now, after all the viral infections have been cleansed, when I insert a disk nothing happens. At all. It doesn't even try to do anything. Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks

Chris

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 03:26 AM

Hi Chris, it doesn't look good for the optic unit. If it is still under warranty have Dell replace it, if not you can get a new one for about twenty bucks from Newegg, or better yet...go for the burner.

Check them out here,and here.

Edited by dc3, 17 June 2006 - 03:27 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:51 AM

Try deleting the cd using the device manager, reboot and let Windows find it and reinstall it.

#4 sadadsada

sadadsada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:55 PM

Thanks, both of you. I'll try the device manager thing, but I think it's still under warranty, so if all else fails I can just replace it.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:11 PM

Being that it's still under warranty I suggest you demand the Windows XP installation disk from Dell if you didn't get one with the computer.

They charge $10 if you order it with a new computer and it's well worth it.

If you don't have one, when your hard drive fails, you will have to wind up having to buy and pay for another license for Windows XP.

Get it and save it in a safe place along with your 25digit Windows XP key number.

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 June 2006 - 04:12 PM.

#6 sadadsada

sadadsada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:59 PM

One thing I forgot about: we called Dell about it, and the tech support lady told us that it can't be a hardware problem because the drive works in safe mode. Ideas?

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hi. Have you tried removing the sofware related to your D drive and reinstalling it?

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#8 sadadsada

sadadsada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:06 PM

You mean the drivers? Yeah, I tried it.

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:20 AM

Hi. I was talking about the actual software. My PC came with SONIC RecordNow preinstalled and when I had a problem, it was suggested that I remove this via Add/Remove programs and then reinstall it. This didn't fix my particular problem and I ended up replacing the DVD-RW, but I put it forward as a possibility for you to try.

Good luck. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

Before replacing hardware try this simple repair: CDGone.
Download it and unzip the contents. Right-clicl on the file cdgone.reg and then select Merge.

So Autoplay doesn't work, but can you read the contents of discs ? How about burning CDs & DVDs ?

You can use the MS Autoplay Repair Wizard to fix autoplay problems.

#11 sadadsada

sadadsada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 06:05 PM

No, it can't do anything. It doesn't even recognize when a disk is inserted. Can't read, can't burn.

By the way, what's the CDGone thing do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users