Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB3.0 PCI-E Card Keeps Losing Connection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:37 AM

Hi,

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate and I recently installed a new Orico USB3.0 PCI-E card. I installed the driver which worked successfully and it said it needed to restart which I did. When it started up again, an icon appeared in the bottom right corner of my screen which was a silver rectangle with a green dot whizzing around it. It said it was installing the driver for my new hardware which I didn't understand because I thought it was already installed.

After a few minutes the green dot turned red and I got a message saying that the driver did not install successfully. When I tried using the USB ports on the new card, the computer lost the connection to the USB device after a few minutes. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and exactly the same thing happened again. Please can someone suggest how to get the card working correctly?

Thanks,

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:49 AM

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?  It may need an updated USB3.0 driver. Do you know what the USB3.0 chipset is on the card?

You may want to make sure your USB ports are set to selective suspend.

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:24 PM

There's one exclamation mark in Device Manager next to Wireless Transceiver for Bluetooth which I don't think is related. The chipset is VLI.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:50 PM

When you look in Device Manager is there anything related to VLI or VIA USB3.0? Is there a model number for the card? If not, is there a number for the VLI chipset?

Edit: I think you have this chipset.

If this is the card, then it has both a 1x VL800 USB 3.0 host controller and 1x VL812 USB 3.0 HUB controller

If this is the latest driver you downloaded, I am not sure what the problem would be if selected suspend did not solve the problem.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 November 2014 - 04:57 PM.

#5 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:56 AM

That driver didn't work. It said it couldn't find the device. The one I used was this: http://www.oricoonline.us/drive.aspx?did=48 I tried reinstalling it and it seems OK now. I think maybe the MicroSD card I was using is faulty. It seems to work fine with everything else. Thank you very much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users