Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Genuine Advantage nag?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

I've got an 11 year old IBM ThinkCentre (from back when they were branded by IBM) running Windows XP SP 3 -- the same OS it had when I bought the computer, although I cloned it to a larger HD in 2007.  It's old and I'll be getting rid of it, eventually, and it's not my only computer, but it's convenient and I plan to nurse it along until it drops.  I've got it protected by a good firewall, a good antivirus program, and MBAM Premium.  Daily scans show it's not infected with anything.  I've been getting and running updates from Microsoft on a regular basis.

Tonight, out of the blue, I started getting nags that seem to be coming from Microsoft claiming that my "copy" of Windows might not be genuine and I have to resolve the issue by downloading a "tool" -- WGAPluginInstall.exe -- to validate it.  It does seem to be sending me to a Microsoft website.

Does this seem legit?  After Microsoft has been updating my system for 11 years without complaint?

Is it necessary?  I don't really want to download more junk than I need to.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:37 AM

If this is WGA notification, it's junk. Use the tool to remove it. If the WGAtool shows WGA as not installed, I would not install it.

Edit: Changed link.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 November 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:10 AM

The simple route is to check whether system is activated properly.

http://www.wikihow.com/Check-if-Windows-XP-Is-Activated

If not activated, do so via Internet.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_updating/i-was-asked-to-run-the-wgaplugininstallerexe-by-se/8ba7c642-e2d7-417e-b414-f8cf1e6299ad

Louis

#4 Capn Easy

Capn Easy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:42 PM

Thanks, hamluis, but I'm pretty sure it was activated properly -- it was on the computer when I bought it new in 2003 (2002?) direct from IBM (the OEM) and I've never had the "keys" icon in the taskbar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users