Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer freezes and then goes to blue screen and reboots

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jenn31708

jenn31708

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

For a few weeks now my computer has been freezing and then going to the blue screen. After that, I can restart it normally. This can happen a few times a day, then not again for days. I decided to run super antispyware, but when I clicked on it, it says I cant run it and to contact the system administrator. This is my home computer, I am the administrator.

Then I tried to do a system restore while in safe mode and it wouldn't let me, again because it says I am not the administrator.

I let my nephew borrow my computer several times over the past months and I'm afraid he might have gotten a virus.

I'm very computer illiterate, but I'm running windows 7 home premium, 64 bit, AMD E-350 processor 1.60 GHz

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 18 November 2014 - 09:02 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

I'm sorry that I have to agree with you. I too think that your system has been infected. I will ask a moderator to move this thread into the Am I infected forum so that you can get the expert assistance you need. Please read the instructions and follow their directions exactly. Makes things much easieer on both sides

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 jenn31708

jenn31708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:28 AM

Thanks Dick, hopefully someone can help  :hello:

#4 jenn31708

jenn31708
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2014 - 10:07 PM

additional info:

After the crash, I get a box on my home screen that says "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown"   There's a box to check for a possible solution, but clicking on it, nothing happens. It does show some details:

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA8006060010

BCP2: FFFFF88002C88768

BCP3: 0000000000000000

BCP4: 0000000000000002

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\111914-51402-01.dmp

C:\Users\Jenn\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-102492-0.sysdata.xml

#5 Guest_LighthouseParty_*

Guest_LighthouseParty_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

Hello there   :welcome:

I'm LighthouseParty and I'll be assisting you with your concern today. Let's run a couple of scans to see what could be causing this.

:step1: Download MiniToolBox

1. Click here to download MiniToolBox to your desktop.
  2. Double click MiniToolBox.
  3. Select the following and then press go.
  4. Post the log in your next reply.

Flush DNS

Reset IE Proxy Settings

Reset FF Proxy Settings

List Installed Programs

List Restore Points

:step2: Install and run a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  1. Click here to download Malwarebytes to your desktop.
  2. Double click mbam-setup-x.x.x.xxxx and follow the on-screen instructions.
  3. On the dashboard, click update now.
  4. After that, click scan now - the scan will now begin.
  5. When the scan's completed, select apply actions - make sure the action is quarantine.
  6. Restart your computer.

How to get the log.

1. On the dashboard, select the history tab and click application logs.
  2. Select the log which has the time and date of when you did the scan.
  3. Click copy to clipboard and paste it into your reply.

:step3: Download Security Check

1. Click here to download Security Check to your desktop.
  2. Double click SecurityCheck and follow the on-screen instructions.
  3. A log should open, called checkup.txt.
  4. Please post the contents of it in your next reply.

Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump and copy the most recent one to your desktop, then zip it up using your choice of program.

Once that's done, head over to http://www.filedropper.com and upload the zipped-up file and provide us with the link.

Thanks and good luck!

#6 HackerFun

HackerFun

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:53 PM

A large majority of viruses that cause a BSOD are Rootkits. I've found through my experience that TDSSKiller finds a lot of those Rootkits that cause BSOD. Download and run that, it's a very quick scan.

Download Link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/

If the scan comes up clean, you might want to boot into Safemode and scan the computer with Malwarebytes. (To boot into safemode, continuiously tap F8 during system startup)

Download Link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

If your computer gets a BSOD while in safemode than I'm going to go jump the gun and suggest testing your hardware.

Testing Hard Drive: Download, install, and run a surface test with HDTune. If you get any bad sectors than your Harddrive is failing.

Download Link: http://www.hdtune.com/

Testing RAM: Testing the RAM could be as simple as removed a sticks and testing (Trial and Error) or you can run diagnostic tests on it with Memtest86.

Download Link: http://www.memtest86.com/

Check for Overheating: Checking for overheating is self explanatory--When you get  the BSOD, quicking touch the components of the PC with your hand, you might get burned a little but it will tell you what is going on. If this is a desktop, open up the PC. First touch your Power Supply (This will discharge any static from your body without harming the computer), then your Heat Sinks, then your Hard Drive and lastly you Graphics Card.

If you've tried all these things and you're still geting a BSOD, let me know and we can go further in diagnosing the issue.

Edited by HackerFun, 02 December 2014 - 12:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users