Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

google chrome now available through apt

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

I just opened a terminal and typed in 'apt-get install google' and then hit the tab button twice and discovered you no longer need to download google chrome separate from apt.

Edited by bmike1, 17 November 2014 - 10:15 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:14 PM

after a fresh install I open a terminal and enter the following:

sudo ufw enable
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp; sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install ntp photivo virtualbox digikam gimp gimp-plugin-registry scribus xul-ext-gdata-provider ssh gedit apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5 mysql-server kmymoney unetbootin phpmyadmin chromium-browser thunar xbmc pepperflashplugin-nonfree skype google-chrome-stable google-earth-stable gscan2pdf; sudo apt-get autoremove

as time progresses and I discover new programs I desire to install I add them. The newest additions are google-chrome-stable and google-earth-stable.  

I've saved this as a text file on my backup media. I recommend others to do something similar.

Edited by bmike1, 18 November 2014 - 12:07 AM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#3 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:15 PM

if you are using synaptic/your distro's package manager type chrome into the search bar.

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

Hey bmike1 - you may be interested in this, if you did not see it slip in here.  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/556917/post-in-vietnamese-error-or-threat/ - all resolved now.

Good proactive approach you are taking.

If you are interested, you could write a script containing the string of commands, name it eg "MyStuf" or, given the ufw reference, "firemeup" - then all you would need to do is type the one word name at Terminal and Enter, enter password and Bob's your uncle, you're up and running. Save the script with your backup media.

If/when adding apps over time, just gedit or leafpad and modify and save.

Later

:wizardball: Wiz

#5 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:50 AM

If you are interested, you could write a script containing the string of commands, name it eg "MyStuf" or, given the ufw reference, "firemeup" - then all you would need to do is type the one word name at Terminal and Enter, enter password and Bob's your uncle, you're up and running. Save the script with your backup media.

Good idea. A copy/paste is just as easy though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users