Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inaccessible external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 4huskers

4huskers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:02 PM

Over the course of time an external hard drive has become inaccessible when my laptop is running Win 7.  The files on it were generated when my laptop was running XP.  When I first installed the Win 7 drive I could see everything on the drive.  I decided to move the files to a new external drive and that's when my troubles started.  If I put the XP drive back in I can access the old external drive and see all the files.  I can send files from the old drive to the new drive when my laptop is running XP and access them, but the files do not show on the new drive when the laptop is running Win 7.  So I guess I have two problems, one for each external drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Files..data files...should be viewable by any O/S, at any time...unless they are stored in the XP Docs & Settings area.

If the files are in My Music, My Photos, etc...then you have to take ownership when the O/S being currently used...is not the one used when creating the files/folders.

What is fhe file path for those files that cannot be seen in Win 7?

Louis

#3 4huskers

4huskers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

A dialog box pops up saying E:/ is inaccessible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users