Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INFECTED, FILES ENCRYPTED -- HELP?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 McKnightM

McKnightM

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:14 PM

Hi. First time I've posted.

My Dell Inspiron laptop was hit with an encryption (ransomware?) infection sometime last weekend (11/8-11/9). I didn't know what was happening -- I'm not the tech-iest guy in the world -- but then I started getting all of these Internet Explorer popups advertising Cryptowall 2.0 and saying "this is the only way you can disinfect your computer," etc. I ignored this and tried to keep working b/c I didn't know what was happening and had never heard of this type of infection... then the infection made it so I was unable to open Outlook (email/Calendar/Contacts). I followed my antivirus software's (Kaspersky) instructions and tried to restore the computer to an earlier point in time. After I did so, all of my Outlook email/Calendar/Contacts had disappeared.

I took it to my local GeekSquad at Best Buy (where I bought the laptop) and they did a backup and removed the infection but --  after 6 days -- they were unable to restore this Outlook data and weren't able to -un-encrypt the Word files that were affected.

Can you help?

Gratefully,

Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

G'day Mike, and Welcome to BC.

A repository of all current knowledge regarding CryptoWall & CryptoWall 2.0 is provided by Grinler (aka Lawrence Abrams), in this tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/cryptowall-ransomware-information

Reading that Guide will help you understand what CryptoWall & CryptoWall 2.0 does and provide information for how to deal with it and possibly decrypt/recover your files. At this time there is no fix tool for CryptoWall.

CryptoWall 2.0 uses its own TOR gateways...see Updated CryptoWall 2.0 ransomware released that makes it harder to recover files.

There is also a lengthy ongoing discussion in this topic: CryptoWall - new variant of CryptoDefense.

Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion.

This is fairly laborious reading Mike, but necessary to understand what has happened.

Edited by quietman7, 17 November 2014 - 06:54 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

Updated CryptoWall 2.0 ransomware released that makes it harder to recover files

There is also a lengthy ongoing discussion in this topic: CryptoWall - new variant of CryptoDefense.

Rather than have everyone start individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any questions, comments or requests for assistance in that topic discussion.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users