Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best brand for laptop hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:43 PM

Hello Bleeping Computer folks.

Can I ask which brand of HDD for laptops is the best? I was considering Seagates, but seeing how the Seagates HDD that came with the laptop started showing signs of failing after one and a half year... well, not touching that.

I use a Lenovo G580. Mostly for gaming and studying, so a 500GB HDD would do. All I need is good durability and speed (if it's possible).

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:57 PM

If you really want speed, you can go with an SSD. They are fairly pricey but will certainly be faster than any other mechanical drive you could buy. If you do go that route I would suggest getting a 128/256 GB one and using external storage for music/movies and things other than your programs. This is a great SSD for a decent price. If you still want to get a regular hard drive, I have never had a problem with my Seagate drives, but Western Digital is also a good brand. Here is a Seagate one and a Western Digital one both 500 GB and 7200 RPM.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:02 PM

I do not really play high-end games (Assassin's Creed: Unity will need to wait until I get back home and get a decent PC... which will not be for 4 years), so a HDD is ok.

Thanks for the info though.

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:05 PM

No problem, but with an SSD you will also see improvement in boot time and how fast your programs load, not just in games. The main thing I look out for in a new HDD is the warranty and the reviews.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,412 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:14 PM

When I'm looking for a hdd I always check the comments of other buyers. The difference if any in the quality of WD and Seagate, if any,

is negligible.

Check out this one: Amazon.com: Seagate Laptop Thin SSHD 500GB Hard Drive ST500LM000 6Gb/s 64 MB Cache: Electronics

Price: $61.84 & FREE Shipping.

• 500 GB 5400 RPM SSD Hybrid Drive
  • Solid state hybrid drive delivers SSD-like performance with hard drive capacity options
  • Adaptive Memory technology customizes performance by aligning to user needs for overall improved system response
  • 80 percent faster performance than traditional 5400-RPM drives in PCMark Vantage benchmark scores

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

Is it okay to install a drive that's meant for the smaller kind of notebooks (netbooks, ultra-thin notebooks) into normal notebooks?

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 12:07 PM

There is no "best" mechanical hard drive for a laptop, due to the nature of the beast.  Working support I would replace two or three drives a week, from all manufacturers.  As Aerys said a SSD would be the best.  Provided you don't need a ton of space you should be able to get a 256GB drive for under $100.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users