Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adobe Flash for Windows 7 64 Bit..error on install

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jake21

jake21

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:38 PM

I read through a few forums about this problem, but still cannot get this corrected. I have Windows 7 64 bit system...I cannot view video from websites like ESPN because it says I need Flash player...Went to Adobe and other sides such as softpedia,etc. The program begins install and then gets to 98 percent and gives the following error:

A REQUIRED FILE: WINDOWS/SYSWOW64.exe/ MACROMEDIA/FLASHPALYER UPDATE/SERVICE

cannot be written due to insufficient privledge.

I have tried to install after disabiling Norton and all Antivirus programs. Still no luck. I have tried also to download the file to computer and installing with ADMIN. privledge and still no work.

Any ideas? Sounds like a common problem on 64 bit machines, but lots of different answers, none seem to work so far.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2014 - 11:44 AM

I tried deleting all the FLASH folders....gets an error that YOU DO NOT HAVE PRIVEDGE to continue...I am on a standalone computer with administrator priveldge?

#3 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:56 AM

I downloaded the flash player direct as an exe file. Then I closed browser,etc. tried to install that way... get this error:

The active x control for flash player could not be registered.

Any ideas?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 10:09 AM

It seems you have some kind of permissions problem. What happens when you right click the exe file and Run as Administrator?

Download the flash player from here. You use IE for a browser, correct? If it still does not work, I am not that experienced in solving permissions issues. Somebody on the forum may be able to help with that.

The Chrome browser has it's own built in flash player. That may work for you. Also, you can set youtube to play HTML5 instead of flash. Doing that may help with some of the videos you watch.

Edit: To delete the flash folders you can try doing it with the hidden Administrator Account. Type CMD in the search box Right click Run As Administrator and type

net user administrator /active:yes

Logout of your account. You should see the hidden Administrator account. Login to that and delete the folders. After doing so disable the account. Logout of Administrator and login to your normal account. At the elevated command prompt ( Right click Run as Administrator) type

net user administrator /active:no

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 November 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#5 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 10:50 AM

Still cannot delete folders....this question has been on ADOBE.COM for 2 weeks..no answer

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,641 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

Can you delete the flash folders in Safe Mode? In Safe Mode use the flash uninstaller. Also delete this folder C:\Windows\System32\Macromed

Disable your antivirus and try installing again.

#7 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:15 AM

I tried safe mode....when I tried to delete under the SYSTEM32/MACROMEDIA folder...I get an error that the flash file is in  use by another program.

When I tried to delete the SYSTEMWOW64/MACROMEDIA...I get an error message..You do not have priveledge to delete this folder.

I have Norton and MalwareBytes both running...I have disabled both and tried to delete, butno luck. Problem seems to be access to these folders...If I can delete or be allowed to alter contents, I might be able to install. Thanks!!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,641 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:49 AM

Did you try the flash unistaller? If that did not work try the following.

You will have to delete those folders offline. You can do it with a small linux distro that works outside of Windows. Download Puppy linux and burn the iso file to disk or use Rufus to create a bootable USB. You can burn a disk in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Image File. You may have to change the boot order in BIOS to boot the USB flash drive or use the Boot menu key at startup. I don't know what computer you have but many have a boot menu that will allow you to pick the boot device.

One you are at the Puppy Desktop, click once on the hard drive icon. If you have one hard drive then it would be the icon labeled sda1. A file manager will open. Browse to the folders you want to delete. Right click and select delete. Make sure you have the correct folder as this delete cannot be undone.

I think your problem revolves around a permissions issue and I don't have enought experience fixing permissions problems. There is a Windows all-in-one repair program that is supposed to repair permissions but I have not used it. First delete the folders with Puppy and see if you can install flash.

#9 jake21

jake21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 370 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

SOLVED: I ran the hard drive checker: It found an error in the files.

I then ran the uninistaller

Rebbot

Installed the MSI version of FLASH

Came right up....lot of agony here. Evidentlly I need to run that scan of the hard drive and fix any errors...once I did that it worked/installed fine.

Thanks again...will leave this up a few days for anyone else...then close.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,641 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:53 PM

Thanks for posting back the solution. I am sure it will help others who are having similar problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users