Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:44 AM

i am a long time lurker, first time poster, i have downloaded many programs from here,

i do computer repair and service calls to peoples homes as a part time job, alot of the calls i go to are people with slow computers and/or viruses, people are paying by the hour so i like to be as efficient as possible at the calls,

i will list my general procedure below for these cases and would appreciate any feedback on programs you think i should add or remove to my list.....

1 - i use ccleaner to clean up the hard drive, and disable any programs that are not nessessary at startup

2 - i run adwcleaner

3 - i run JRT

4 - i run malwarebytes

5 - (time permitting) i will run a scan with an antivirus program

after that i will check other performance settings on the computer to make sure they are correct,

is this a good general procedure to use? it seems to be working very well, anything i should add, replace, or remove?

also, if they dont have an antivirus program i will install one for them, i normally install AVG or avast just because i am most familliar with them and there settings, any others you guys would recommend?.....i have recently heard good things about microsoft essentials? but i wouldnt really consider that an effective antivirus program all by itself, or is it?

thanks in advance, love this site!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 11:09 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

The first step should be to check Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel for newly installed junk software and remove anything you do not recognize or did not download recently. In most cases, using the program's uninstaller not only removes it more effectively, but it also restores many changed configuration settings. Alternatively, you can use a third-party utility like Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable and follow these instructions for using it. Revo will do a more thorough job of searching for and removing related registry entries, files and folders.

After uninstallation, then you can run specialized tools like Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, AdwCleaner and JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) to fix any remaining entries they may find.

You may want to read:
Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users