Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

smoked drive, reformat, or viking burial

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnnyedee

johnnyedee

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:43 AM

Toshiba laptop L755, Windows 7 OS: was running IOBIT advanced care version 7 with out incident, decided to update to version 8. Installed version 8 uninstalled version 7. Ran initial "quick scan", installed some missing windows software updates scan picked up, updated drivers. Rebooted to complete updates, all with out any problems. Ran a deep system scan, that's when problems started. Scan took over an hour and a half to complete. I assumed it was because it was doing a "boot scan" as well.

After completion of scan, when to shut down laptop, waited ~ 5 minutes, got indication a program was still running and asked if a "forced shut down " would be okay. Checked task manager, and could not see what was running, so I opted the forced shut down. That's where the problem(s) started.

On reboot got screen shot saying windows shut improperly, asked to start normally, or diagnostically (safe, safe networking, command prompt). Opted for normal start. Got windows logo screen shot, and that was all. Never went to desk top, although I had control of mouse, no blue screen ever. Powered down, removed battery, unplugged, hit power switch a few times for a clean reboot. Powered up without battery, again got "windows shut improperly" opted for safe start. Loaded drivers, again waited after logo screen shot, again nothing after 5 mins, again had use of mouse only. Went through process again only this time I opted for "command" start up to attempt to run scan disc with fix. Again yielded same results, nothing after loading drivers, and mouse control only.

Anyone have any idea where to start trouble shooting this problem? Or should I assume drive is shot, or a reformat and or recovery disc is now needed?

Thanks for any and all assistance in advance,

Johnny Dee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:01 PM

Was the "System Scan part of IOBit? System Optimizers are Snake Oil IMHO. They can cause more problems than they are worth. To determine if the hard drive is bad, download Seatools for DOS and run the short/long tests. You may have to change from AHCI to IDE mode in BIOS in order for Seatools to see the SATA drive. If the drive tests fine. Reinstall Windows and forget about IOBit.

Tutorial

SeaTools for DOS Guide - Seagate

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:04 PM

I do not like IOBit products in general, they cause trouble more than they are worth. Use Auslogics products instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users