Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nexus 6 in China - VPN question

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sajidali27

sajidali27

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

I have been an iPhone user for a very long time and the prices of the new iPhone 6 are pushing me to look at other options. I had the chance to play with a Nexus 5 and it was awesome, and the Nexus 6 sounds even better. Here is the issue though, the Nexus is only really super cool if you have continuous access to Google. If not, it turns into a regular phone... and living in China, well, you need a VPN to access Google. 

I have 3 of my own personal PPTP VPNs sitting on VPS servers in three countries, so there's no issues for finding a working VPN. The issue is that from what I remember of the Android system - last time I played with one was a long time ago - is that connecting to the VPN was a convoluted and somewhat complicated thing. It would not re-attempt connection. It would not remember your password. And there was 5 steps (clicks) to re-connect, and re-enter your password. So here is my question: Is there an app out there that allows to continuously (always) keep your phone connected to a VPN without having to manually re-connect it all the time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:54 PM

Launch Google Play Store app in your Nexus and search for VPN. You will find hundreds of apps.

I personally like F-Secure VPN and its free !

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsecure.freedome.vpn.security.privacy.android

BTW, its not true that Nexus is no fun without Google or that you do not have direct access to Google servers in China. Actually China has become a large manufacturing center for Android based phones and they all use Google's servers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users