Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Failure (I think) and No Monitor Signal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RDoringo

RDoringo

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:57 AM

I'm experiencing a major issue with my home PC. Here's a rundown of what happened:

1. While playing a game, I got a weird screen split where my monitor basically glitched and split the screen in two. Not sure how to describe this exactly. First time this has ever happened. The sound then looped for a minute while everything went black. I did a hard reset.

2. I thought it was just the game, but the same glitch later happened in a browser. I did a hard reset.

3. I was able to then work for a couple of hours. I then decided to try to boot the same game to see if the problem would occur again. It did. This time I got a blue screen which said that the display failed to reset or something like that. I did a hard reset as the blue screen seemed to freeze as well

4. Since then, I haven't been able to do anything really. I booted again,told windows to "check for solutions", opened a browser, white screen crash, hard reset. After that reboot, things really went to hell. Now, I turn the computer on, the monitor says no signal, and my backlit keyboard seemingly is receiving no power. If I cycle the monitor's power button, things will seem to kick into gear a bit. The keyboard will get power and the monitor will get signal. The login screen will then come up. When I try to login, however, the screen just freezes black. It's becoming rare to even get that far now.

5. The bad thing is, I'm no longer even getting an opportunity to boot to bios or in safe mode because when the computer does miraculously boot, it takes me straight to windows login. I never see the mobo screen. Jamming f5 and f8 does nothing.

6. I still hear the beep and everything sounds like it's running normally. I'm just no longer getting a monitor signal at all. Last 5-6 times I've tried to turn it on, I just get nothing.

Please help. Very much at a loss. I've got a Radeon hd 6870, by the way. Assuming this is gpu, but I guess it could be something else given the weird power cycling with the keyboard and monitor. CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 MOBO: ASRock 970 Extremei.  Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:17 PM

It does sound like the graphics hardware is the most likely problem there.  The only way to be certain though is to try a different one (or to try the graphics card on a different PC to see if the problem moves with it).

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 marktime

marktime

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi RDoringo

Can you try taking out the graphics card and running it off the motherboard graphics (if available). If it works off the motherboard output then try running Burn in test: http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

This will put the PC through its paces and if it passes then you know it is the graphics card. If it fails then it is something else. It is likely that your Radeon has popped though I'm afraid.

Mark

#4 RDoringo

RDoringo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 01 December 2014 - 08:16 PM

Thank you to those who responded previously. I've got some updates.

First, I wasn't able to run motherboard graphics. Second, I did get another card (a Radeon HD 6850) from a friend who just upgraded to another. I installed that card, turned on the power, I heard 5 beeps from the motherboard, and then nothing happened. I reinstalled my card and started again. There were no beeps with my 6870, but still no signal. I reinstalled my buddy's 6850, again I heard 5 beeps but received no signal. 

Apparently 5 beeps from my motherboard indicates a processor problem. I googled the issue and saw somebody else recommend reseating the RAM, video card and then CPU.  That will have to wait till I can get some thermal paste shipped.

I'm really confused as to why I'd get the beeps with only my friend's card and not with mine, however. 

Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users