Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Faint Banding across the screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Obeyance

Obeyance

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:10 AM

Intel I7 4790k (Stock clock, Hyper 212plus cooler)
16 GB Corsair Vengence 1866 DDR3
ASUS Sabertooth Mark2
XFX R9 270x 2Ghz (Stock Clock)
CoolerMaster 650 PSU (Bronze Rating)

I have faint banding across the screen. It only shows up once into windows(Does not appear in BIOS at all... at least that i can tell) and shows across ALL applications. It only is really noticable on darker images like grays but not so much on black. The bands are of altrenating thickness (Small/Large Small/Large), but are not very wide at all. Thin little bands spaced out and altrenating like i said. They do not move, though if i bring up an image or a dialog box, it will create the same banding acorss those windows and stay with that window/dialog while the ones normally there pass over it.

I use HDMI to HDMI on a 40" Toshiba TV.

What i have done to trouble shoot is this so far:
Clean installed GPU Drivers. (Uninstall, restart, install, restart)
Changed to a different display that i know did not have banding. (Still had banding)
Change cables to a DVI to HDMI cable.(Still hand banding)

What i have not done *yet*:
Remove video card and restart using intigrated graphics port.
Remove video card and install into previous machine that did not have any issues at all.

Heres further background story:
I built a computer a month or so ago [ AMD A10 7850k, XFX 270x (same card in current), 8GB Corsair Vengence(Same stick in unit +1), MSI A88x G45 GAMING mobo., 650w CoolerMaster (same unit in current). I was fairly disappointed with the performance as i am an aspiring streamer and it just wasnt cutting it. So i ordered the I7, Mobo and a new case (Rosewill THOR V2 its a nice case ^^). Everything was running fine on the other build, it just wasnt fast enough for what i wanted it to do. As soon as i set up the new box i noticed the windows. It wasnt very noticeable before i put in the graphics drivers, but i did notice something wasnt exactly right.... i just figured it was related to running through the graphics card without drivers. Once i installed the drivers and restarted, it was very noticable on the blue user login screen and once into windows, the background that i had chosen was also drawn with variable sized lines that made it look like it was a very poorly drawn gradiant. (im going to have to get you pictures possibly to explain this fully)

It effects all range of applications/images/video/games... its irritating that i just spent over 1000$ on hardware (total between the two machines) and i end up with sub quality video. It doesnt make anything illegable or unplayable... its just an annoance. Though being as i have a very nice CPU, a respectable Mobo, and a decent GPU... i feel i shouldnt have to deal with even the slightest quality loss. I feel like im justified for being a bit put out and disappointed on this.

Ive tried everything i can think of to fix it, i have googled and googled and googled and have only come across people talking about VGA adapters causing the problem and that fixes there issues... but i dont use VGA adapters... I use HDMI and DVI cables.

Im hoping this month old video card isnt shot already, nothing more disapointing that buying a 200$ item and having it crap out in a very short amount of time. Please help me figure out why this is doing what its doing and save me from buying a new card! Though honestly im drooling over some better cards already! XP But that might not be my problem...

Thanks in advance, hope we can figure it out. I can do anything that needs to be done to help diagnose... Pictures/screenshots ect, ect.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:30 PM

Try booting Safe Mode and see if the problem persists.

How to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8 or 8.1

You will need to sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

1.  Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, click or tap Settings, and then click or tap Change PC Settings.

2.  Under PC settings, tap or click General.

3.  Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

4.  On the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options.

5.  Tap or click Startup Settings.

6.  Tap or click Restart.

7.  On the Startup Settings screen, choose the Safe Mode you want, Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

There are actually many ways to do this. it is actually easier to press the Windows key and R then type msconfig and press ok.

Then go to the boot options tab and select safe boot in the boot tab and restart. easiest way I have found yet.

Edited by Dragonlady24, 17 November 2014 - 02:19 PM.

#4 Obeyance

Obeyance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 06:10 AM

I switched into safemode, had no effect on the banding.

Though, it seems like its not as noticeable in safemode. Booting back into normal windows changes the brightness level though, that may be what is causing that difference though.

Edited by Obeyance, 18 November 2014 - 06:21 AM.

#5 Obeyance

Obeyance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:58 PM

I wish you would have told me what would be the next step in trouble shooting or what it could be if it was, or wasnt, still doing it in safe mode... Thank you for your input, but it left me in a cliff hanger because you gave me the testing point, but not the relative cause, and dont seem to be quickly replying.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:37 PM

I donate my time here and enjoy helping others, but I have a life outside of the forums and it comes first.  Because of this there are times when I can't respond as quickly as some would like.  

If the "banding" continues in Safe Mode this is not a driver related problem since Safe Mode uses a native Windows graphics driver.

If you have another monitor you should see if the problem continues with it.  If it does, then you either have a bad graphics card or the settings are incorrect.

If this does not help to diagnose your problem, maybe some else will jump in. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Dragonlady24

Dragonlady24

• Members
  • 703 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:09 PM

I agree, just because this is a computer help site does not mean that the people who help you have no lives apart from here> Please understand that they have lives too. While your issue is important that they only have so much time to help and there are normally 30 or more people being helped by one person so be patient.

#8 Obeyance

Obeyance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 09:37 PM

Well, if you cant help someone within 24 hours(even though you log into the forums and stay on for hours), dont tell someone to try something without giving some extra info that would be helpful... like what could be the issue if this/this/or that happens when they do what you tell them to do. You have to expect that someone thats seeking help is going to be ready and eager to do what you suggest, and going to be irritated if they do it and have no clue how to proceed from what you told them. So, in the future... just give a bit more advice than "turn it off and on again" type suggestions with no further help. I spent the time to type out an OP that was as informative to my problem as possible. Please respect that.

Anyway... back to the issue. What settings? The card is new so im fairly sure it didnt break when i changed it from one build to another. Its only 2 months old (max) and was working 2 hours before i started the new box up, in which i carefully handled it by the edges and stayed grounded and eased it into the board and firmly pressed it into place(i know what im doing, its seated properly, i have tested the seating). Its possible that i hurt it somehow during transplant, but its highly unlikely. So what settings should i change? (Again with the not being very informative bit) I have tried all manor of picture settings like contrast, gamma, sharpness ect ect, on both my TV and in catalyst control settings. I have tried different aspect ratios, resolutions and refresh rates (24 30 59 and 60) My tv is 60Hz, 1080p. Again, im using an HDMI cable. Which i have tried in all 3 slots of my tv and into another monitor as well. I also tried my DVI to HDMI cable and tried in both DVI slots on my card and all 3 slots on my tv and the 1 on the other monitor.

#9 blueelvis

blueelvis

Bleep Blop Bleep

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:30 AM

Well, if you cant help someone within 24 hours(even though you log into the forums and stay on for hours), dont tell someone to try something without giving some extra info that would be helpful... like what could be the issue if this/this/or that happens when they do what you tell them to do. You have to expect that someone thats seeking help is going to be ready and eager to do what you suggest, and going to be irritated if they do it and have no clue how to proceed from what you told them. So, in the future... just give a bit more advice than "turn it off and on again" type suggestions with no further help. I spent the time to type out an OP that was as informative to my problem as possible. Please respect that.

I am sorry to barge in and I mean no offence to you, but I am sure we all respect the time you put in writing the OP. We have the computers turned on and the browser tabs on the forums so it seems like that we are online but we might be busy as well. I am sure that the problem you are having is very important for you to have it resolved.

Now, let's come back to the issue and just forget what happened ^_^.

Could you please upload the photo of both the banding when you are booted in Windows and when you are into BIOS settings. Also, I would suggest you to disconnect the R9 physically from the system and then attach the monitor to the motherboard's integrated graphics port. This should help in isolating the issues.

Also, test your R9 with Furmark according to the below instructions -

FurMark Video Stress Test - free from here:  http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/
FurMark Setup:
- If you have more than one GPU, select Multi-GPU during setup
- In the Run mode box, select "Stability Test" and "Log GPU Temperature"
Click "Go" to start the test  (Looks like it's "BURN-IN test" now)
- Run the test until the GPU temperature maxes out - or until you start having problems (whichever comes first).
NOTE:  Set the alarm to go off at 90ºC.  Then watch the system from that point on.  If the system doesn't display a temperature, watch it constantly and turn it off at the first sign of video problems.  DO NOT leave it it unmonitored, it can DAMAGE your video card!!! 
If the temperature gets above 100ºC, quit the test - the video card is overheating.
- Click "Quit" to exit[/quote]
What you are looking for:  
- excessive heat from the GPU (report back with anything over 90ºC)
- problems with the video display (picture is distorted or jumbled, picture turns black, etc)
- problems reported by the program (I haven't seen this, but "just in case")

-Pranav

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

In case I have been helping you and you haven't received a reply from me in 48 hours, please feel free to PM me. Anything else? Still feel free to PM me :)

Did you read this? http://omgdebugging.com/5-tips-for-getting-the-best-bang-for-the-buck-at-fast-food-joints/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users