Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beat The Blackhats

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 03:36 AM

I have been wrestling for a few weeks with making this Post/Topic, as I did not wish to be perceived as someone with an agenda to pursue, including bagging Windows and pushing Linux.

My impetus, or incentive, to write the below was accelerated on reading Grinler's New Topic, here, a few weeks ago, now, but, as I am prone to, I procrastinated.

I was galvanised into action, finally, after reading a comment from one of my colleagues here, on a seemingly unrelated Topic, in which he said, in part:

“...It is up to people like us to show them the right or better way to do things....”

I slept on this overnight, and in the morning, I decided to implement those words with regard to the below.

If I have an Agenda, in being in, and continuing with my involvement with BC (Bleeping Computer), then it is this:

1. I want to learn as much as I can, about all sorts of subjects, but predominantly Linux, which I have committed to almost 100%

2. Having learned, and through my past knowledge of 40 years with computers, 24 of them with Windows up to and including Windows 7 … I want to help others, as I have been helped since being here

So without further ado, here's what I think: Linux

Let me say that again … Linux

One more time … Linux

HISTORY

I am a Father, a Grandfather, and a Husband. When I read a part of Grinler's article, on this page

I nearly wept, literally, at the thought of someone having 2 TB of sentimental data encrypted, perhaps lost forever, through the beastie known as RansomWare. Since that article was written we have had more, ghoulish, processes rear their ugly heads, the latest Coin Vault.

But if I look again, or refresh my screen, there will be another, and another.

If you have not already done so, then as followup to reading this article, you should read

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/554735/the-ascension-of-crypto-ransomware-and-what-you-need-to-know-to-protect-yourself/

by Grinler

For Windows users, ListCWall, or ListCryptoWall, is a small utility that can be used to export the list of files encrypted by the CryptoWall ransomware infection. When CryptoWall infects your computer it will encrypt your data and store a list of these encrypted files in your Windows Registry.  ListCWall will export a sorted list of infected files into a text file so that you can easily find affected files.

ListCWall was developed by Bleeping Computer, which development of same, if for no other reason (and there ARE plenty of other reasons) propelled BC into becoming an industry leader in cross-platform forums.

Grinler, in his article referred to, was going to have ListCWall pulled for maintenance/up developing. I am not privy to its status – can Grinler, or Animal or Blade, or Anti Malware Response Team, enlighten me/us in that regard. Nevertheless, it still had 606 downloads last week.

If appropriate, just go, on this site to Downloads – Windows, and scroll down.

BUT – as good as ListCWall (kudos to BC) and its ilk may be, this is all what in Oz we call “bandaid surgery” - bandaid is a sticking plaster for small cuts and scratches.

I cannot tell you, who have suffered, what to do to fix your kidnapped data. I don't have the knowledge. I wish I did, really – for those of you stricken with personal data (memories, and other), nor those with businesses, both under employers or self-employed – whom have been kneecapped.

I CAN tell you what each and every one of you should have in your toolbox, in your arsenal to not only fight, but BEAT – The Blackhats.

One word – Linux.

• Linux as a backup solution, whether to a USB stick up to 64 GB or more, or to CDs and DVDs that can be safeguarded

• Linux, running on your PCs, and saving to an external HDD numbering in Terabytes

• Linux, under a Virtual Machine environment

• Linux, yada yada yada

You don't have to “leave Windows”, to use Linux, it can be on a partition on your hard drive, or even run within Windows under a WUBI-style arrangement – you get a dual-boot option but all the OS and the data were stored in a directory/folder called UBUNTU, in my case, on my C: drive, to which I allocated 18 GB on my 2TB hard drive, but only used about 10GB, before I adopted a full Linux solution.

All of the options are secure, stable, robust … and a number are very Windows-like in their look and feel. If that is what you want.

Before I go, did I tell you:

• That Dell, a market leader, are now shipping laptops pre-loaded (by customer choice) with Ubuntu Linux?

• That many Government Agencies and Departments are now running under a Linux Environment?

• That Linux, for the Home User, is free (for the most part) and all the applications that ship with it?

• That Linux Enterprise versions are available under a number of Distributions and names such as Red Hat, Zorin,Ubuntu and more – stable, secure, low-cost

• That Linux Servers are available – you may be working under one, even using Windows?

Linux users number in the millions. The Linux community incorporates a brains trust of volunteers and workers that numbers in the tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands – more than one single company can boast.

Think about it, stop using bandaids and be proactive in your Risk Management.

If you do, we can beat the Black Hats yet – Linux outnumbers them!

Come and ask us how it is done - we are here to help

:wizardball: Wizardfromoz

Edited - added "on my C: drive"

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 17 November 2014 - 05:16 AM.
Moved from AII to 'General Security'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

Nicely said, gives good weight to the argument for linux. Though the fact is as more users move there the criminals will follow and start attacking that OS, they currently go after windows as it is on 90% of computers, if linux is on 90% of computers what will they learn to attack? I know what my next computer is going to have for it's OS.

p.s. good decisions on the part of any government/compnay that has switched to linux, will probably save them (and in the case of a governemnt therefore save us)a fortune.

extra p.s. what in particular are you referring to here "Linux as a backup solution, whether to a USB stick up to 64 GB or more, or to CDs and DVDs that can be safeguarded"? I would be interested to know.

Edited by rp88, 17 November 2014 - 02:03 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:10 PM

I prefer Linux also, but I must make this point.

It is very easy to protect against all ransomware and almost every known malware application with a simple tweak.

Simply create a policy/group policy that prevents applications from executing from anywhere on the machine, excepting Program folders and Windows folders. Malware invariably runs from a temp location in the first instance, so if you prohibit all temp locations you prevent all malware. I have implemented this on my whole network and the infection rate has been 0 ever since (over a year ago). It is good to create a "safe" directory also for installing applications from etc. This combined with a solid firewall and a basic anti-virus will make Windows systems virtually "bullet-proof". (assuming you don't put the malware in the safe location and install it yourself :whistle: )

That said, I do prefer Linux for ease of use and lack of hassle. But that doesn't stop Windows being a good platform, with a huge array of software that is great to use.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

TsVk!....I very much like the sound of that...create a policy/group policy that prevents applications from executing from anywhere on the machine etc etc.....as I am equally certain many others will too.......

I will be the one to ask the question : How does one go about doing what you describe there ?

Would you consider writing a tutorial on the subject ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:27 PM

Welcome rp88 as our first replier! Thanks for the comments.

If this topic attracts even half the interest I anticipate, I will be putting up:

• a Q&A Post, which will grow, as appropriate over time
  • Technical assistance, probably in a template format, advising in step-by-step sequence how to implement different Linux solutions
  • A lot of screenshots and
  • I expect a number of video links

... these all in order to minimise repetition on our parts, and to reduce workload on us, but it will not be so rigid or impersonal as to take away a humanitarian aspect from our attempts to assist refugees in, and victims of, this War that is out there. There will be many, many links provided, of the "read here" or "read this" variety, suggested as being opened as a separate tab, in order to return easily here after, or while, reading.

In areas of technical expertise, I expect I will be deferring to a number of my Colleagues far more experienced than I (am, in Linux matters, and in marrying Windows & Linux environments to work side-by-side).

These colleagues are likely to include, but not be restricted to:

cat1092

NickAu1

Al1000 is one who has considerable experience with Puppy Linux, a Distro (Distribution) ever-growing in popularity for its backup possibilities, distro on a stick capabilities, &c.

There are a dozen more guys and gals I could name, but we'll see who makes it over here. I hope my role here will evolve to being one largely of a facilitator, as I am active in a number of other areas.

To comment briefly on your input:

they currently go after windows as it is on 90% of computers, if linux is on 90% of computers what will they learn to attack?

I'd love to see it on 90%, but my grandchildren might.

At its simplest level, .exe files are most often both the culprit and the victim with attacks, and yes, there are .dll, Word macros, any number of extensions such as you see being checked out by your AVG, eNOD32 or other AV software. But .exe is by far the largest target.

.exe does not exist under Linux, but it can be accessed using such features as Wine, which ships with many Distros or else can be downloaded and installed from safe "Repos" - repositories. Under Wine, many Windows applications can be run seamlessly, and if not, there are VM alternatives as mentioned above, but running Windows as the Guest in the VM rather than as the Host for Linux.

.exe files cannot be accessed under Linux without entering a password, so that is a first defence - there are others.

good decisions on the part of any government/compnay that has switched to linux, will probably save them (and in the case of a governemnt therefore save us)a fortune.

Very true. Enterprise and Professional solutions have some costs and licensing issues involved, but the licensing is less complex than under Windows, and much of it is covered under the GNU GPL - Google or Wikipedia that up, GPL2 is a 15-page read I am reading currently for my own purposes in building a Distro from scratch.

As for the home enthusiast, building his/her own pc, the savings of NOT having to pay for the OS, NOT having to pay for a Productivity Suite (Libre Office cf Microsoft Office), and being able to put the OS on any number of your computers at home, for free - speaks for itself really.

extra p.s. what in particular are you referring to here "Linux as a backup solution, whether to a USB stick up to 64 GB or more, or to CDs and DVDs that can be safeguarded

This is a broad question and will be fleshed out more, soon, and added to will be concepts of "Live CD/DVD" and "Live USB" options for those wishing to dip their toes in the pool before diving in (to the lovely, refreshing Pool of Linux, lol).

Briefly:

If you believe your Windows system to be currently clean, and you have an installation disk (not a Recovery disk), and disks or paid for downloads of your preferred apps, then if things go pear-shaped you can reformat your hard drive, reinstall and away you go (may have lost some settings and themes unless you backed them up, though).

If you believe your Windows system to be currently clean, you may choose an alternative, and that is to ghost or clone or image your entire system (lot of bloat, though in Windows). I note your involvement in another topic, here, on backups externally, I will be posting there after I finish here. Clonezilla is one such alternative. It is open source, cross-platform, and ... free, of course (get used to that word - free).

Windows recent versions can generate a system image, but I am guessing it will be in a proprietary format, likely not portable to other OSes.

Once under a Linux environment, a plethora of solid options are available, I will mention only a couple here now:

1. Duplicity - Wikipedia reference here
  2. Déjà Dup reference here. Déjà Dup ships with many Linux Distros
  3. Clonezilla of course, is readily available, and its Linux flavour - my colleagues who dual-boot will likely be able to tell us whether its results taken under one OS can be read and accessed under another
  4. Aptik and Timeshift can be downloaded and installed from a safe Repo. Aptik offers a number of backup options including app settings and preferences (profiles), themes and icons, &c. Timeshift offers the facility you might know under Windows Restore including setting and managing Restore Points, even down to scheduling image taking options. It ALSO offers a facility to produce and store a system image on any number of the removable media and external powered devices listed above.

It is important, re that last comment, to note only a couple the space-saving features of Linux, both with installation, and backup.

INSTALLATION

You don't just download to your PC and then install Linux. You download an .iso file, usually 1 - 2 GB in size, usually to your Downloads folder. There are points we will cover or refer you to to check, both at the download site and at your PC end once downloaded, that will verify the integrity and security of the .iso. Some Windows users will know them as md5 and SHA. SHA is replacing md5 as many feel md5 has reached its shelf life.

Once verified, you burn the .iso (not just copy) to disk or USB stick, which process produces a partial expansion or de-archiving/unzipping of the .iso to make it usable. You then boot the computer from the media and it takes you through the installation options, which include a "try before you buy"-style facility, allowing you to explore the OS, go online &c. When you finish, close the session and you have your Windows back.

I have to take a short break here, and then ... I'll be back

:wizardball: Wizard

Edited - got tossed out under time constraints had to reformat some text quotes and will recapture data - stay tuned

Edited -typo

Edited by wizardfromoz, 18 November 2014 - 01:09 AM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

TsVk!....I very much like the sound of that...create a policy/group policy that prevents applications from executing from anywhere on the machine etc etc.....as I am equally certain many others will too.......

I will be the one to ask the question : How does one go about doing what you describe there ?

A bit of googlewise searching would answer how to do this. It's not secret or hard to do, relatively.

I'll think about writing a tutorial... But it may not be suitable for BC, I wouldn't want people to damage their OS's.

#7 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 08:54 PM

Really great topic...good job. 

TsVk, I don't know how. I would HAVE to get instruction! However, I certainly CAN google it, just cuz I love google :) 

ps. I'm going to ask my company IT guys if they are doing the group policy thing (they let me think that I know stuff lol)

pss I learned some things here...thanks all! 

#8 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

That's what CryptoPrevent does "policy/group policy that prevents applications from executing". Also "policy/group policy" can be compromised.

Black Hats and Grey Hats are lured by organised crime with money, threats, or intimidation. I should know, I've saved a few university students/graduates in my field from organised crime.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:38 PM

That's what CryptoPrevent does "policy/group policy that prevents applications from executing". Also "policy/group policy" can be compromised.

Sure, it's free if you do it yourself though. And you should always have a secure firewall to prevent physical intrusion, which will help to prevent GP compromise.

All that said, no system is ever 100% secure... The moment any user touches it or it is connected to any network there is a vector.

edit: looking at CryptoPrevent, it the free version actually looks pretty good for home users. I'm looking forward to reading more reviews.

Edited by TsVk!, 17 November 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:02 PM

Geez, I dunno...bloke steps away from the keyboard for an hour, comes back - and there's activity? Topic must be interesting, lol.

Oh Northern One (TsVk!) - nick off, I'm trying to sell them Linux and a bottle of snake oil to grow their hair back :hysterical:  only kidding.

Thanks Crazy Cat, where's Wild Eagle?

Hey Stolen, nice to "see" you again, don't be a stranger. When you talk to your IT guys ask them also if they have considered Linux as a part of their Risk Management for Mission-Critical processes? And let us know yes or no, and why? Ta (thanks in Aussie).

Bear in  mind, we talked earlier about .exe being a major weak link, targeted by the Black Hats. But it is by no means the only one.

As for "bulletproof" - a policeman can wear a kevlar jacket and be shot where the jacket doesn't cover, by a sharpshooters. Black Hats are sharpshooters.

TsVk! is a Frequent Flyer over at Linux Land, and his profile is a good indicator of the type of info we hope you will provide us without being prompted, it helps us to help you to choose the right flavour of Linux to suit your needs. There are well over 500 Distros out there, but we usually recommend from within the Top 50. Stability, Support, Upgradability and on and on - not to mention enjoying the experience.

BTW  TsVk! not so sure about that customised Case - might have a few scratching their heads. (Aussies - can't live with them, can't live without them).

Back to where I was, shortly, gotta little research to do, and don't want to time out again - made a mess up above, being incomplete.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:00 AM

The safest way I know to do banking and shopping online is by using  Puppy Linux on CD, You burn the ISO to CD ( DVD is also ok, It's just a waste of DVD) and boot your PC into Puppy Linux, Do shopping or banking and when you are done shut down the PC without a save file. Because Puppy runs in ram only shutting down clears everything.

I got a cheap ASUS M3N 12" Notebook PC, Cost me 45 bucks on ebay, No HDD, battery not working, But it boots from CD, And that's what I use for Shopping and banking online.

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

If you would like to give Puppy a spin get it here.

PAE.

Download from ibiblio.org

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

Download from nluug.nl

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

NO PAE.

Download from nluug.nl

http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_noPAE.iso

Download from ibiblio.org

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_noPAE.iso

If you are having any problems installing or running Linux and need help please start a new thread in the Linux & Unix as with most of these types of threads it will grow into many many pages and issues and fixes will be lost.

In computing, Physical Address Extension (PAE) is a feature to allow 32-bit IA-32 central processing units (CPUs) to access a physical address space (including random access memory and memory mapped devices) larger than 4 gigabytes.

Physical Address Extension - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:43 AM

Revisit #5 above if you need, to get the gist.

INSTALLATION - Space-saving considerations (cont.)

When or after your Linux Distro is fully installed, you can check certain File Manager options such as Files, Computer, Caja (under Linux Mint) - these are all a bit like Windows Explorer. If you like Pie Charts, you can use Disk Usage facilities likewise.

You may be pleasantly surprised to find that your entire, full, Distribution, packed with thousands of applications, takes up only 4 - 6 - 8 GB. Sound attractive?

BACKUPS

... can be equally attractive. Déjà Dup I mentioned, above, is a backup tool that ships with Ubuntu-based Distros, and it will prompt you to do your first backup. Icon looks life a safe. It's not bad, a little restrictive.

NOTE HERE  when you have finished installing keep your install .iso - space is not a consideration, here. You may choose to blow away the .isos you downloaded to your PC, but ...keep one, on CD/DVD/USB/External HDD.

A combination of Aptik and Timeshift, mentioned above, are considerably more versatile, and reduce downtime. Aptik, Timeshift, and Conky Manager are just some of the software apps produced by Tony George out of India. You can wander through his site here. I have been in touch with Tony about an unrelated matter, and his Repository is considered safe by Ubuntu and other Distros.

I am writing this post from within an environment of Linux Mint Mate 17 codenamed Qiana, 64-bit version. If I perform a Disk Usage analysis here, I will find that I have, with Downloads, and personal data generated (photos, videos, word processing files, the usual) a total of only 15GB in my whole environment, do the arithmetic from where I said above, about install space for Linux. 15GB minus 4 or 6 or 8 = 7 to 9 to 11GB needing backup. If you have you .iso disk handy, but still only 15 GB if you don't.

rp88 and others, HERE is where I mean what I said above, about

Linux as a backup solution, whether to a USB stick up to 64 GB or more, or to CDs and DVDs that can be safeguarded

... and I will continue shortly. I can't do this fulltime, and I have chores to perform. Bottom line of the immediate above is that I could back up my entire system onto a couple of DVDs.

Back soon

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:02 AM

I was just signing out to do me chores, and went to shut down my Gmail notifications and there was NickAu1. Welcome, Nick, the rest of The Gang will be along no doubt, soon.

Nick's reference to Puppy Linux is just a glimpse of the mouth-watering options we have to offer you, to suit every agenda and need. There are over 500 Distros out there, and so we typically look at only the Top 50 and then some downscaling, to endorse. We will only endorse Distros that are robust, stable, secure, and versatile - and a number of them can have a look and feel that makes it relatively easy for Windows users to try and adopt. Works for me, after 24 years with Windows.

And Nick, rest assured - we will be doing a lot of referring to previous and/or current topics for issues that might arise that might otherwise be perceived as starting a new Topic, but that is every User's/Member's choice.

For new readers this may mean nothing ... YET... but Nick I am hoping the likes of cat1092, Al1000, Iophophora, Kaosu, even the venerable rburkartjo, can make valuable contributions here, help to keep the Topic on track, and overall further the Mission, to provide an alternative "armour" that will help to make Windows Users safe/r.

Later

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:34 AM

There was also a recent Lightweight Portable Security Bootable CD released, from the US Air Force, for the use by the general public. 

LPS-Public allows general web browsing and connecting to remote networks. It includes a smart card-enabled Firefox browser supporting CAC and PIV cards, a PDF and text viewer, Java, and Encryption Wizard - Public. LPS-Public turns an untrusted system (such as a home computer) into a trusted network client. No trace of work activity (or malware) can be written to the local computer

There are regular & Deluxe versions, and Firefox is the included browser. It's recommended if one does a lot of browsing beforehand, reboot before making transactions. Leaves no trace on the computer it's ran on, nor can one become compromised, no matter how badly the computer is infected. 

If you are unable to download .iso format files, or are getting incomplete downloads, you may wish to try the zipped format instead. Note: .iso files are already compressed so .zip format is not meaningfully smaller.

Zip format LPS-Public ISO image, version 1.5.5 (24 October 2014)

Zip format LPS-Public Deluxe ISO image, version 1.5.5 (24 October 2014)

Non-PAE Downloads for older computers:

NON-PAE LPS-Public ISO image, version 1.5.5 (24 October 2014)

NON-PAE LPS-Public Deluxe ISO image, version 1.5.5 (24 October 2014)

Downloads for all other computers:

Download the LPS-Public ISO image, version 1.5.5 (24 October 2014). 

Download the LPS-Public Deluxe ISO image, version 1.5.5 (24 October 2014). This version is the same as the LPS-Public edition, but also includes LibreOffice and Adobe Reader software. 

This is an easy to use CD & I've used it for years. One can sign up on the mailing list to be notified of new versions. 

For complete information about Lightweight Portable Security, read on.

http://spi.dod.mil/lipose.htm

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2014 - 03:31 AM

I said at #10 above

TsVk! is a Frequent Flyer over at Linux Land, and his profile is a good indicator of the type of info we hope you will provide us without being prompted, it helps us to help you to choose the right flavour of Linux to suit your needs.

Welcome cat1092. Cat I figured you'd be along, seems I don't need to advertise, readers, these guys just go looking for trouble and find it (often me, lol), and pitch in and help.

Cat is another of those whom, in this case, in his signature offers us instant access to his speccies/configuration, which we are looking for.

In Cat's case, he uses, on Windows only, Piriform Speccy, which provides him with a GUI (Graphical) entrypoint on the Desktop, with tabbed pages to examine his system, and can assign you a unique URL to have your output displayed on the net. Click Cat's and see. Another alternative for this sort of comprehensive analysis is Belarc Advisor, and they are both valuable tools to have in your toolkit.

Nick, I will leave it to you, if you would be so good, to post at least two alternatives as you did in that other topic, showing a quick summary of info we need from Windows? It focuses on CPU and RAM available, but I would add two (2) things - GPU/Video Card, if applicable, including if it is eg nVidia/Intel on a laptop... and storage space/capacity on eg a Hard drive, External HDD &c. Thanks Nick.

Cat - the input is welcomed, as always!

I would ask of you, and others of our Brains Trust, to apply the following with this Topic:

If you include a quote, not your own, just also provide a reference to the Source. It does not have to be the Link, as long as it is verified, I will adopt the same approach.

We may have a lot of war-weary travellers along here** soon, whom may be sceptical/interested and want answers, and they don't need to perceive any of our "SOLUTIONS" as being possibly folklore or urban legend. Thanks Cat, and all other contributors.

B4 I go and make tea (supper):

** A brief search on Google, under "Beat the Blackhats" lists this Topic as Number 1 out of over 9,000,000 results. Putting a space between Black and Hats shows 30,000,000 - with this still Number One. This,from Australia.

We may have a few people along here, hope and believe we can deal with it.

Later, and Keep Smilin' :wink:

:wizardball:  Wizard

A man seeking Wisdom said "I write, the way I speak, the way I think ... get over it"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users